Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Headlight Restoration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 389 Likes on 325 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Headlight Restoration

How much success have people had with the plastic headlight restoration kits and services?

What should I look for or look out for if I decide to get my headlights polished to get rid of a little fog.

They are Xenon, so replacement if cost prohibitive.

Unless someone know were you can get housings only and transfer all the parts from my existing working but fogged headlights.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - “Headlight Restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1506615
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Taco
Originally Posted by N_Jay
How much success have people had with the plastic headlight restoration kits and services?

What should I look for or look out for if I decide to get my headlights polished to get rid of a little fog.

They are Xenon, so replacement if cost prohibitive.

Unless someone know were you can get housings only and transfer all the parts from my existing working but fogged headlights.
I offer headlight restoration and the results are usually pretty impressive. I say usually because you can only correct the exterior surface. If there is damage to the inside of the lense there is nothing that can be done. Either way you typically see a significant improvement in the visual appearance and the light emitted.

With that said, many of the OTC kits are kinda lacking, or its a marketing goof, or the damage is beyond what an OTC product can offer. Severely damaged lenses really need a professional to correct them as it involves usually a few steps of wet sanding, then compounding with a rotary polisher. Most people are not familiar with wet sanding nor do they own a rotary polisher.

The real key is protecting the lense once its restored. Many people offer the 'scuff and buff' with no protection afterwards. Ultimately the fresh exposed plastic will turn yellow just like it did in the past. This is why I finish off all of my headlight restoration jobs with Opti-Coat as it offers long lasting protection. My new car preps also get Opti-Coat on the lenses to prevent this all from happening.

example of some headlight work. This took 3 sanding steps, then compounding with rotary & wool, polishing with foam

Last edited by Mr Sparkle; 01-08-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
The real key is protecting the lense once its restored. Many people offer the 'scuff and buff' with no protection afterwards. Ultimately the fresh exposed plastic will turn yellow just like it did in the past. This is why I finish off all of my headlight restoration jobs with Opti-Coat as it offers long lasting protection.
THIS.

There are many writeups online where people wet sand, then buff with a polishing compound (don't be cheap, not toothpaste please). Most importantly, protect what you've done using Opti-coat or a clear coat that some bodyshops use. Meguiars also has a new product out called Headlight Protectant, or something like that. This product may keep your headlights good with a semi-yearly application.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM

e class w211 320cdi
Originally Posted by babyman1737
THIS.

There are many writeups online where people wet sand, then buff with a polishing compound (don't be cheap, not toothpaste please). Most importantly, protect what you've done using Opti-coat or a clear coat that some bodyshops use. Meguiars also has a new product out called Headlight Protectant, or something like that. This product may keep your headlights good with a semi-yearly application.
get yourself a tin of brasso mix enough with a teaspoon of EUCRYL toothpowder for a wet paste clean lense first then with a dry rag apply rubbing in takes about 30 mins or longer for better results and a lot of elbow grease per lamp.i took 2 hours on my w211 320cdi and lights are like new.remember to wash of with hot soapy water a few times during prosess.give it a try you wont be disapointed
Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 PM

toyota
Originally Posted by babyman1737
THIS.

Making up your own headlight polish is creative imo
Using toothpaste in the mixture is not a sign of being cheap.
Yes it is important to protect the finish product. But choosing a sealant based on a brand name might not be as important as choosing one with UV protection.

Last edited by percyey8; 09-18-2014 at 04:21 PM.