Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Restoring better transparancy of rear plastic window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Restoring better transparancy of rear plastic window

I just discovered this section of the forum.

The three year old SL500 we purchased Dec 1999 seems to have some srot of build up on the inside surface. Where the top when stored has the plastic up against the top liner and storeage compartment liner?

Any comments on I found a convertible top maintenance guide on the web:

Site address:
http://www.automotivedetailing.com/...ibletopcare.htm

A couple of lines extracted to do with plastic windows:

"However, if the window is made of plastic, special care must be taken as this material is easily scratched. I recommend using just a damp, clean chamois (no chemicals!) followed by a smooth (not terry) 100% cotton cloth, ideally flannel. (Note that most window cleaners are not recommended for clear plastic.) If there is heavy grime on the plastic window, use a cleaner specially designated for clear plastic."
"Clear plastic windows that are not so clear anymore can often be polished back nearly to their original transparency. Considering the cost of replacing this kind of window, not to mention the safety issue of driver visibility, the detailer can make a hefty profit on this type of service. There are clear plastic cleaners and polishes that, combined with careful use of a small-head random orbital polisher, can produce amazing results."

I'll just have to find a detailer familiar with these proceedures and suitable products.

Some one on another section of this forum sufgested they have had good luck with "McGuire" products.

Is there any point in checking out marine / boat shops. Yjey have plenty of plastic to maintain.

Comments? Suggestions?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Another forum reply posted (under R129) advised that the the micro scratches are on the inside and are caused by top up / top down rubbing against the roll bar.

There are three sets of produts people have recommended.

Other insights?
Old 08-07-2003, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Griot's Garage makes a Plastic Polish, suitable for cleaning plastic windows.

I don't have a convertible, so I haven't tried it for this purpose, but I did use it on the clear instrument lense in our Passat. The car wash guy wiped it down with a dirty rag, scratching the plastic. The polish did remove most of the small scratches, which looked like 'fogging' on the plastic - but I wasn't able to get out the deeper scratches.

You can find the stuff at www. griotsgarage.com.