Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Ridding Cigarette Smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL 550
Ridding Cigarette Smell

I am considering purchase of a 2006 CLK 55 AMG. The car is offered by a delear and is low miles and in great condition. However, I went to test drive the car and upon getting is noted the car was owned by a cigar smoker and smeeled fairly strongly of smoke. The dealer said that was no problem, they could get that treated and I would never know it was a smoker's car. I am sensitive to the smell and have my doubts. Can you really completely rid the car of a smoke odor? i like the car otherwise but could not live with the odor at all. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
To make a sale a dealership will tell you anything you want to hear, most products will temporarily remove the odour, but it will return later on
The odours from cigarette are particles of incomplete combustion with a size of 0.1 to 4µ (micron). As a size comparison, an average human hair is between 40 – 600µ. It’s actually the tar content when exhaled that causes smoke residue to adhere tenaciously, regardless of surface. These concentrated particles accumulate on hard surfaces and permeate deep into soft surfaces like seating foam. In an enclosed car environment where air circulation is propelled through the ducting system; the car interior is becomes positively pressurized; resulting in deeper penetration into interior surfaces. These inaccessible locations make smoke decontamination a challenging task.

The only product I know of that will eliminate the smoke particulates is a product made by DrivePur-Smok that is very effective at eliminating cigarette and other odours. It has the ability to penetrate, seek out and react with the components of tobacco smoke (tar and nicotine) dissolving and converting them into gaseous molecules without causing any damage to fabrics, materials or hard surfaces.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - “Allergen and germ removal systems” http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...l-systems.html

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me an email
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Yes, it can be removed permanently. A firend of mine runs a crime scene cleanup business and uses Ozone Generators to remove smells from decomposing bodies (one of the hardest smells to remove). He often rents his OG's out to dealers to remove the smoke smell. 48-72 hours with an OG in a vehicle, and smells will be gone.

Many professional detailers also have Ozone-generators