Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

a question about meguires cleaner wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Guest0001

Thumbs up a question about meguires cleaner wax

How often can i use this stuff?

at first i thought i should only use it to remove crap from my car like dirt and grime.

but my friend says you can use it every other wash just to give it some shine.

so how often can i use this stuff without damaging my paint?

thanks
Old 08-24-2003, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
what conditions?

every other wash is a bit much, IMO...

does your car get garaged at night? (in other words, it doesn't get dew or condensation during the night and then get baked dry when the sun comes out?)

And do you park the car out in the elements while at work? This would be tree sap, birds, dust and particulates.

If so, I'd probably say do it every three months and keep the car washed frequently (weekly at least) to keep dirt off the paint. It's enough work doing the whole car and wheels - I couldn't imagine doing this every other wash!!

For me, I do it every six months (I use the 3-step Meguair's (cleaner, polish, wax process) using an orbital polisher and by hand to get the small areas where the machine can't do it.

- once in the spring when the rainy season is over to clean off the grime built up from winter driving

- once in the fall to put wax protection before the wet weather comes around again (helps the winter crud to wash off easier)

I garage my cars, and at work I use a car cover all the time (only on a clean car), unless the fog gets it wet (or filmy) or it rains. If there's dust - which is abrasive, the cover isn't used until I wash the car.

This way there's no dust and the UV and heat from the sun doesn't bake the interior or rubber parts. I can go almost 2 weeks w/o washing, and at that point some fine dust may be on the car...and then of course, there's the infamous MB brake dust to deal with on the wheels.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Guest0001

hi Hal H

Thank you very much for you in depth post.

now to answer some of your questions

My car is garaged every night and is in the garage every time its not in use when i am at home.

When i go to school and work i park my car in the disgustingly hot SoCal weather for 5-6 hours. only protectant i have is the windshield. i really need some kind of tint.

i have a silver car so i wash it every 3-4 weeks. howevery i clean the front wheels every 1-2 weeks due to break dust.

i love meguires stuff as well. i have their car soap, cleaner wax, wheel cleaner, interior dash and vinal cleaner.... i also have lexol cleaner and conditioner. i usually clean the leather every 2 months or so. should i do that earlier?

so basically what i do every carwash is rinse the car. lather the car with soap with the mitt. rinse again. dry the car. and the clean the wheels and tires. the thing is i want to use some kind of polish everytime so i can feel like it shines more without going through the hours and hours of waxing. maybe mequires quick detailer?

your help is very much appreciated

Last edited by Guest0001; 08-24-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't wash enough

My cars are also garaged most of the time,but I wash them 2- 3 times a week minimum.When I read your post about not washing for such a long period I couldnt believe it.Your letting surface contaminents sit on the paint way too long,whether you have a good coat of wax or not,the car picks up all sorts of crap while driving.Maybe its just me but I need to drive a really clean,well detailed car at all times or else I feel "dirty" hehe.My advice is start washing more often,use a quick detailer spray after every wash,and depending on how much driving you do,I'd glaze or polish and wax minimum 4 times a year.There will be a big difference in how your car looks,trust me.....
Old 08-25-2003, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Damn, I wash mine about every two to three weeks! 2-3 times a week!? Whoa!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Guest0001

E500lorinser

any pics of your car? looks like you have some nice mods

anyways that cool you spend that much time to make sure your car looks clean.

but i am lazy person. i do what is necessary and i try do effiecent work for the least abount of time. this goes with work, school, exercizing and everything else. the only area i do the extra mile in is in school mostly, i put alot of time in this area.

i really give you guys props for taking car of your rides and keeping it clean. its really time consuming.

ive seen one of my friends wax one time and it took him a good 4-5 hours including washing waxing and all that. i am just too lazy to do all that work. im sure its worth it when you see the shine... but its just going to get dirty lol.

that why i am wondering if any of you guys can make me a routine.

and can you name the meguires stuff? its convenient for me to get it at pep boys. and i like there products

this is basically what i do every 3-4 weeks

i basically just wash the car with mequires car soap i then dry it with microfiber towels. i have meguires hot rims cleaner i use the clean the wheels. i have some tire gloss i use. i also have the cleaner wax but i am not sure what to do with it. is this like a cleaner and a wax? can it be used like a wax or what? so i can use the quick detailer spray every wash and it wont damage it? thats good. anything that does the job and is not too time consuming is good

i wash my car every 3-4 weeks(using ALbostons washing techniques in the sticky) but when i do it make sure i do a fantastic job and not a halfassed one. remember i have a silver car so it doesnt really show. i dont want to wash the car for the sake of washing it.

thanks again guys, really enjoy your inputs.

Last edited by Guest0001; 08-25-2003 at 08:29 PM.