Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

my detailer was definitely not a hacker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
my detailer was definitely not a hacker

I was originally going to take a relatively new ML63 for a detail and opti coat but changed my mind to experiment with a "brand new" ML350 Bluetec after getting advice from fellow member TOGWT. It never occurred to me that a brand new car would need detailing but I was wrong.

There was only one detailer that I spoke to about a "new car prep" who could not tell me how much it would cost to detail and opti coat a brand new ML350. Garry's ultimate answer was "won't know until we look at it and decide what's wrong - if anything." The rest of them had a set "package" price for a new car prep at various pricing points. I also found that Garry was the only one who would not quote a "x% correction" number and it's relationship to cost. Garry was also the first name that came up when I contacted Optimum Technology to see if they had any recommended installers for Opti Coat in Florida.

The ML was produced on June 3, 2013 and arrived in Florida on June 8. We picked up the car on June 11 and drove it straight to Garry's for a "new car prep." As advised by TOGWT and Garry, I worked with my great SA at the dealer to make sure the ML did not get touched after it came off the truck. I'm told that all the dealership did was to do the routine mechanical prep for a new car delivery and it stayed inside the shop until we picked it up.

I was surprised to see that a brand new car had so many defects. I'm not exactly sure how much better or worse the car would have been with dealer prep but the expert consensus seems to be that it would actually be worse in many instances. After inspection, Garry had two options for us. A one step or two step correction and polish. Since Garry thought that he could make the paint "near perfect" with a two step polish, it made my decision easy.

I was impressed with the end product and will be bringing the rest of our cars to him as well. When I take delivery of our next new car, I will repeat the process again.

A quick photo of the Bluetec on the shop lift that our SA took for us and a link to a video post that Garry did while detailing the car.

Attached Thumbnails my detailer was definitely not a hacker-img_1069.jpg   my detailer was definitely not a hacker-img_1070.jpg