Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 PM
taylor192

Touch up paint?

I have a Brilliant Silver C230 and bought the touchup paint kit from the dealer.

I have tired twice now to apply it and get a decent matching job - unsuccessfully. The paint I have almost seems too dark.

I know its metallic and needs to be shaken up, and the metal flakes will never be perfect, yet I can't even get a decent match out of this and was wondering if the dealer perhaps gave me the wrong colour code.

Does anyone have the touchup paint number for Briliant Silver?

Or tips that I can use to match this better? I have tried the silver alone and then mixing the silver with the clear coat with no luck either.

I bought Langka (thank god, it got rid of all the touchup paint that didn't match!) and read some pages on how to do a good job, and think I am folowing all the steps, just the paint doesn't match!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Touch up paint?

Originally posted by taylor192
I have a Brilliant Silver C230 and bought the touchup paint kit from the dealer.

I have tired twice now to apply it and get a decent matching job - unsuccessfully. The paint I have almost seems too dark.

I know its metallic and needs to be shaken up, and the metal flakes will never be perfect, yet I can't even get a decent match out of this and was wondering if the dealer perhaps gave me the wrong colour code.

Does anyone have the touchup paint number for Briliant Silver?

Or tips that I can use to match this better? I have tried the silver alone and then mixing the silver with the clear coat with no luck either.

I bought Langka (thank god, it got rid of all the touchup paint that didn't match!) and read some pages on how to do a good job, and think I am folowing all the steps, just the paint doesn't match!
Silver is almost impossible to touch up imo. You need to shake it for approx 4 minutes to get a decent match.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
I have the Brilliant Silver also and I can't seem to get the touch up paint to match either. It's always darker. I use a toothpick to fill in the chips but the paint is aways too dark.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion~

I’ve used an “Autosharp Pen’ by autovisuals, it contains (select make/model/colour) matched paint it’s very easy to apply and I found it to be a very good colour match on the metallic paints I’ve detailed.

autosharppen.com

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect
Old 12-08-2003, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
Originally posted by TOGWT
~One man’s opinion~

I’ve used an “Autosharp Pen’ by autovisuals, it contains (select make/model/colour) matched paint it’s very easy to apply and I found it to be a very good colour match on the metallic paints I’ve detailed.

autosharppen.com

justadumbarchitect
I used it and the damn thing leaked on my car.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion~

"PaintScratch.com'is recommended on the Autopia forum (never used/tested it, so just a suggestion.

~Hope this is of some help~

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~