Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

License Plate Screws Punched Through Rear Lid - Touch up or re spray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Ultrasport, 2010 Subaru Forester
License Plate Screws Punched Through Rear Lid - Touch up or re spray?

Hi Everyone,

I've read elsewhere on the forums about some owners having plate screws impact or punch through their rear lid. Always because the dealer used self tapping screws or longer screws than OEM.

I just bought my car and the dealer installed their own screws. While waxing my car this weekend I took the dealers ad plate off and removed the license plate to wax underneath and saw that the top two screws were impacting the paint, and the bottom two actually punched through!

After doing research I've found that this is a common dealer oversight and that these MBs need oem screws. I'm trying to decide what to do now. I will be showing this to the sales manager where I bought my car, but I'm not holding out hope. Hopefully they can help since they delivered the car to me with the wrong screws. FYI, I did not purchase through an MB dealer but now I wish I had. This seems like a big headache and needs to be either touched up or resprayed.

I'd like to know what everyone here would suggest doing. Attempt to repair this on my own or should I just resign to having the entire trunk resprayed professionally just to have this repaired right asap?

Last edited by oaybar007; 03-24-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM

2011 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Ultrasport, 2010 Subaru Forester
Just to update anyone that may have had this problem. I've talked to a really experienced body shop (lots of MB work) and the rear deck lid is going to need to be professionally repaired.

Beware of the plate screws and if you are new to these cars like I am. Unbelievable!

Last edited by oaybar007; 03-24-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
I hope you're going to stop by the Dealers first for relief on the damage they did. If you can't get the Dealer GM to pick up the tab for the repair, you should at least be able to get the car repaired at the shop they use at the price the dealer pays.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:13 PM

I actually bought the car at Carmax and did show them the damage yesterday evening and let them know that they are delivering Mercedes cars with the wrong screws installed resulting in damage. I also stopped by my local MB dealership and had a tech give me the correct oem screws and showed the differences to the manager so they saw the difference, and hopefully no one else will have this problem there.

They agreed to repair the damage free of charge to me.

First available appointment for the paint/restoration guys is over a week away so until then I am just doing my best to keep the areas clean and covered from the elements.

Last edited by oaybar007; 03-25-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Just wanted to update everyone on the thread. I just got my car back and it was professionally repaired. The holes were filled in, sanded, the rear deck lid was repainted. I also pointed out a few areas to be touched up (tiny things no one but me would ever notice) and they took care of that too.

Advice to anyone new to these cars purchasing through anyone other than an MB dealer (and maybe even an MB dealer), make sure you have proper length screws and it's a good idea remove the rear plate cover before you buy to check for damage from a previous owner, etc.

If I can dig up some pics I will post before and after for reference for anyone else that stumbles across this thread!