Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

When to wax a new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E250 Bluetec
When to wax a new car

I have a 2 week old black E250 that has never been washed (by me). This is my first black car and I'm afraid of messing it up.

Does a brand new car require any preventive care for the paint? Do I need to wax it or does it already come with wax on it? Do I need to seal the paint? I've tried to read a lot of these threads but I come away even more confused. I can't tell a polish from a wax from a sealant.

So, for all you experts; if you just brought home a brand new car, what would you do to it, if anything?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
Normally I wash my car every week by hand !

I use a soft sham to dry it and that's it.

As for waxing and such

I do that once every 3 mnths and I clay bar every 6 months

wax is there to protect the paint and repeal water so it wont come right off just by washing one or twice.

Easiest thing is to make sure its not by any sprinkles to have hard water get on the car.
make sure no bird droppings stay on the car ( so stay away from trees)

and don't lean on her lol

So far by just doing that ive saved myself some serious hassles
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Originally Posted by edbro
I have a 2 week old black E250 that has never been washed (by me). This is my first black car and I'm afraid of messing it up.

Does a brand new car require any preventive care for the paint? Do I need to wax it or does it already come with wax on it? Do I need to seal the paint? I've tried to read a lot of these threads but I come away even more confused. I can't tell a polish from a wax from a sealant.

So, for all you experts; if you just brought home a brand new car, what would you do to it, if anything?
You should put a protectant on your paint asap.
The main thing you want to keep in mind is to avoid any process that requires any form of friction, abrasives or excessive buffing.
This pretty much rules out wax.
You can't go wrong with VaporWax acrylic paint conditioner.
It's a pure liquid non abrasive automotive paint conditioner, it never dulls or needs buffing or removal.
It preserves the original factory finish.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM

toyota
I second that on the acrylic paint conditioner.
I know more than a few people including myself who have used it for years now.
I honestly can't say one way or the other about the effectiveness of anything else.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 PM

S65 AMG
Yes start protecting your paint right away before the elements start to degrade it. If you are uncomfortable with doing this your self, have a professional do it and you can just maintain it from there on by regular washing.

Black paint is of course the hardest to maintain thus the need to protect it as soon as possible.

Good luck and congrats on your new Benz.