Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Any thoughts about Mr. Clean AutoDry?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts about Mr. Clean AutoDry?

Hello,

I saw a commercial for a product called Mr. Clean AutoDry . Does anyone know if this is a good product, and if it is worth buying it? I always have problems with water spots, and am wondering if it is worth purchasing it.

Thanks for your input guys.

-pks485
Old 01-04-2004, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
I saw it too. They have the right idea about removing minerals from the rinsewater but have yet to try it. I am a little skeptical of any product that locks me into buying consumables from them forever.

I'm investigating the cost of a professional unit like they use at the dealerships. Also thinking about testing water from the softener in the house. I just have to tap into it. Anyone tried soft water?
Old 01-04-2004, 03:31 AM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
I just had a reverse osmosis system installed in my house from Culligan. The installer said that he services the "Irvine Car Wash" in Southern California. Their system uses soft water with a reverse osmosis system.

He said it would be rather expensive to use reverse osmosis to wash your car, but the soft water would be much better than the regular hard water. A good test is to take a small amount of soft water in a black mug. Leave it out in the sun and see if you have any spots after the water has evaporated.

Another option is to get a couple of gallons of distilled water...put it in a watering can (for plants) and pour it over your car as a final rinse. It should dilute the hard minerals and reduce the water spots. Got this idea from the LA Zaino rep.

The estimated cost to buy a soft water system is $2,000. You could also rent the unit for around $75/month. Think of it this way. You'll not only have a clean car, but your skin will be silky soft!!

Last edited by MBZ4LIFE; 01-04-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:07 AM

C230Kompressor
From what I've read, the concept they are going after will work to reduce/ eliminate water spots. My question is- Do you have to use their car wash to get the same results? What is supposed to reduce the spots is the final rinse with the filtered water (I can't remember now-but I think they use a Brita (or similar type) filter in the sprayer). I would be up for it if it would work just using that final step.

I assume that if the final rinse is what does it, we'll soon see other companies coming out with a hose end attachment that contains a filter for a final rinse. That's what I'm waiting for. I've even thought about trying a garden sprayer (like for fertilizer)hose end attachment with a Brita filter dropped in it to see if it works.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on Autopia about this, but I havn'et been over there lately to see if anyone has any results yet-maybe check there.