Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How do I get water marks off???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
How do I get water marks off???

I live on the eastern shore of MD and unfortunately have had to keep my black truck outside my garage for several months. I have noticed water marks, probably due to rain/overnight condensation drying off on the pain during the daylight hours. I have tried everything (except professional) and no matter how hard I wash or wax, they don't come off. Is this acid rain stuff? How do I get it off? My paint is in excellent condition, regular waxing, etc. I am hoping that the water stains are attached to prior layers of wax. Is this wishful thinking? I need help getting the spots out. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The first thing I would do is strip off the wax and see if the water spots are still there. If you are using regular wax and not something like Zaino, use Dawn dishwashing detergent to strip the wax. If they were still visible, I'd do a search on this forum using the word polish as the search parameter. I remember tips on polishes and polishing techniques being posted in the past.

I'm sure members who are more knowledgeble than I will respond shortly. I hope that stripping the old wax solves the problem.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Try some white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water....
Old 03-26-2002, 03:35 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
Most 'fresh' mineral deposits (water spotting, acid rain, etc.) can be removed using household white vinegar. If 50/50 with water doesn't work like Awiner suggested, try full strength. It won't hurt the paint. This is acetic acid and will loosen and remove the mineral deposits. If this fails, try a Claybar to remove them.

If those water spots on your car have been there for a while. They might be etched into the clear coat already. If Clay Bar failed, then what you are seeing is an etched spot in the paint surface, similar to acid rain mark etching. You have no other choice but using abrasives. Such as 3M swirl mark remover, or Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion, or othe Meguiars lines.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:37 AM

ML
Thanks Lynn, Awiner and W420. Lynn, I stripped the wax already in a remote area and that didn't solve it. I have heard about the vinegar solution. I'll try that next and hope that rsolves the problem. Thanks.