Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Re: Just detailed my 1999 Mercedes Benz C280 - What's the best combo Menzerna product

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C280
Re: Just detailed my 1999 Mercedes Benz C280 - What's the best combo Menzerna product

I looooove this car. I got it for cheap from my Ex's dad. Since then I've done some little mods to it and fallen in love with it.

The paint is not in bad condition outside of some rust that I plan to fix....but I got really frustrated because I couldn't get rid of the 'specks?' I used the least aggressive approach and used my Menzerna SF4500 with Uber/Buff n Shine 'blue' glaze/final polish shine. It got rid of the massive swirls...but still some little 'flakes' or specks remained. I then went backwards some and used PF2500 with the Uber/Buff n Shine 'green' polish pad. No change. Finally, I said screw it and busted out the FG400 and the orange 'polish' pad and went to town on it.

Did 6 passes for each...and NO change!! I don't know what to do now....

Is the 'specks' the best that this paint could turn out like? I wish I could post pics of the paint...but I tried for like 10mins with my phone (iphone6 plus which has an amazing camera), and I couldn't get anything.

The car looks sooo sweet...but it's sooo swirl ridden and I decided to not put in the effort until I get the right combo down to get this thing like a new piece of glass. I ended up just using powerlock and called it a day.

Here she is.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
What polish / pad combination to use - there are far too many variables to answer this question with a viable solution.

Polish Methodology (polishes and pad selection)
There are a multitude of question about polishing and pad / compound that can be answered with something as simple as ‘use a test panel

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...selection.html
Old 09-03-2015, 11:33 AM

1999 C280
Thanks! As stated above, I tried many combos and pads...but still had these 'spots/flakes' in the paint.

I have no idea what that is, or can it be corrected? I mean i took FG400 to it...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Offering a solution sight unseen is impossible. Can you post some photographs so we can see the problem first hand?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:35 AM

1999 C280
I tried to get pictures, but with white it was VERY hard. I'll see if i can get something in direct sunlight to display the defects.

Honestly, I was looking for input with someone who had similar paint from similar year and there thoughts and/or experience with the paint.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:16 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Do they look similar to these?
Attached Thumbnails Re: Just detailed my 1999 Mercedes Benz C280 - What's the best combo Menzerna product-rock-chip-damage.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2015, 10:54 PM

1999 C280
Nope Not that ba--sorry for the late response.

Don't go on here that much.

It's more like 'knicks' in the clear. I did some research, and I think that may be as good as this paint will ever get..which I a OK with now that I think about it.