Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Anyone try Meguair's Scratch X on their Black car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone try Meguair's Scratch X on their Black car?

Hi,

I am planning to do 3 steps Meguair's Scratch X, Deep crystal polish and Gold class clear coat Wax.

It got a lot of Swirl mark on my 03 Black CLK. Just wondering anyone tried Scratch X and how good they are? How do i apply it? Forward/Backward motion OR Cycle motion? Is it ok if i apply scratch X to whole car ? I bought some 100% polish cloth and micro fiber towel. Are they good to use as applicator?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:19 AM

Black C 240
I only use Zaino and dont think I will ever switch. Love the stuff. Dont know too much about your suggested products, I just know Zaino rocks black paint!
John
Old 02-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Scratch X is okay, but Zaino is ten.. hundred times better. Scratch X has to be applyed over and over because it goes away once it rains and that's a bad thing because its abrasive.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: Scratch X has to be applyed over and over because it goes away once it rains and that's a bad thing because its abrasive.

~One mans opinion / observation~

Two things, I don’t profess to understand the quote above, so I’ll just try to answer on the ScratchX issue.

ScratchX can be hand or machine applied and is a mildly abrasive (meaning it will only remove ‘light’ surface scratches) swirl mark remover. It is IMHO a very good product used for what it was made for. There are a number of products available with more abrasive abiliuties, (using Meguire’s line as an example) least to most abrasive.
ScratchX,-No 2 Fine Cut Cleaner- No. 83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish- No. 4 Heavy-cut Cleaner,

And you’re right black paint is the softest (Talc has a Mohr’s harness factor of I, carbon black (pigmentation for black paint) has harness number of 2

The balance you’ll have to find with black paint is ‘what is an acceptable level of surface marks’, and cover the balance with a glaze type product.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
Old 02-11-2004, 01:27 PM

Hi all,

I am very new to all this... and little bit afraid now after read your post.
You guys said Scratch X is abrasive? is that mean will damage the BLACK paint? Should i apply this to whole car or just to the swirl mark area?

What about ZAINO? Where i can get it? URL? Which Zaino i should use?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:39 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: am very new to all this... and little bit afraid now after read your post.
You guys said Scratch X is abrasive? is that mean will damage the BLACK paint? Should i apply this to whole car or just to the swirl mark area?

What about ZAINO? Where i can get it? URL? Which Zaino i should use?

Abrasive, used to describe the ‘relative’ cutting ability of a polish/compound. A mildly abrasive will not damage your paint , the product discussed, ScratchX can be applied by hand and it’s very unlikely that you’d damage paint by using it.

You can either apply it to the areas that have swirl marks or the whole car.

Zanio Bros. Website http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

~Hope this helps~

Old 02-11-2004, 01:59 PM

Thanks

Does 03 CLK black paint has clear coat on it ?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:13 PM

Black C 240
I think all MBs now have Clear Coat....someone please correct me if I am wrong.....
JBC

Zaino to use:
Clay bar (Z-18), Z-1, Z-2, Z-5 and Z-6 (use dawn mixed with water as the lubricant) and you will love it!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:16 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: Does 03 CLK black paint has clear coat on it ?

To confirm that you have single stage paint wipe an inconspicuous area using a mild solvent cleaner you’ll see colour on the cloth.

~Hope this helps~

Old 02-11-2004, 02:50 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8

I am no Zanio guru but this is my method,

Zanio Application Methodology:

·First, and most importantly, properly and thoroughly prepare your paint.
·Dawn wash, Detailers Clay, and wash again with Z-7.
·Use a polish/compound as needed, use 3M SMR and 3M IHG, finish with a pre-wax cleaner (P21S GEPC)
·Wash again with Z-7. Now you’re ready for the Zaino treatment.
·Put one ounce of Z-5 in a mixing bottle (comes with your ZFX) and add 4 or 5 drops of ZFX. This is enough Z-5/ZFX for two coats. Shake vigorously for 90 seconds.
·Wipe down the entire care with Z-6 and a good quality Microfiber towel.
·Shake the Z-5/ZFX again for 30 seconds.
·Lightly spray your applicator pad (I use the Microfiber applicator) with Z-6. You want the pad to be damp, not wet. Put a small amount (nickel sized) of Z-5/ZFX on the pad and lightly spread onto your paint. Check the applicator pad frequently for any contaminants it may have picked up. You’ll find that there are some areas on your car that are hard to do using the applicator pad. I use a lightly dampened cotton ball and a small amount of Z-5/ZFX on these areas.
·After this do the “cotton ball” areas first since the Z-5 will be a little thicker and doing it first gives it more time to haze?
·Buff off the Z-5/ZFX using a clean Microfiber towel, again checking frequently for contaminants.
·Shake out the towel frequently. If you drop the towel, then stop using it. I usually use two 15”x15” towels buffing off each coat of Z-5/ZFX.
·After buffing, then wipe down the entire care with Z-6 and a clean Microfiber towel.
·Apply another coat of Z-5/ZFX, this time doing the “cotton ball” areas first.
·Finally buff it off and wipe down with Z-6.

Notes:
1. On horizontal surfaces (hood and rear deck, roof if you have one) always use fore and aft strokes when
doing anything to your paint. On vertical surfaces (doors, etc.) use vertical strokes, everything in a straight line, do not use circular movements (only adds to swirl marks).
2. Since one ounce of Z-2 or Z-5 will do two coats the total cost is less than many of the “premium” carnaubas, and it most certainly is longer lasting.
3.Smearing is caused by not allowing the Z-5/ZFX to thoroughly haze.
4.Before buffing test it with your finger, if it smears wait a little longer before buffing.
5.In cold weather you can wait overnight between Z-5/ZFX application and buffing. I’ve waited as long as 36 hours and had no problems.
6.Unlike carnauba, Zaino can be applied in direct sunlight. The only problem that I’ve encountered doing it in the sun is that the Z-6 dries very quickly so you need to work on very small areas. If it does dry just apply a little more Z-6 and the stains will come right off with little effort.
7.I can see little of no difference in the appearance between Z-2 and Z-5, but IMO Z-5 does a little better job of filling swirls and spider webbing.
8.There is no way that you can avoid an occasional fine scratch. When I find one I rub it out with 3M SMR and 3M IHG, then wipe down with a damp Microfiber cloth and top with a coat of Z-1 and Z-5. There is no way to mix a tiny amount of Z-5 and ZFX.

If anybody has hints, tips, or corrections to the above procedure, please post them. I’m always anxious to improve my technique.

~Hope this helps~