Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

HELP! how do I get rid of "clorox" smell

Old 02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 230k sedan
Angry HELP! how do I get rid of "clorox" smell

My daughter spilled some clorox in the carpet "hump" area between the back seat. Out of all the smells that I abosultely hate , clorox is enemy no 1. How can I get rid of such a smell. Has this happened to anyone? I will try wet vac when I get home and I will also steam clean but I am affraid what will happened, I have charcoal interior .

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old 02-17-2004, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chlorine is highly corrosive, letting it sit in the foam and nap of the carpeting will weaken the fabric, certainly discolor it and cause the metal underneath to rust. Depending on the quantity, I would remove the seats, remove the carpet and steam clean it to flush out the chlorine, let it dry in the sun and put it back together.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Almost a Member!

04 230k sedan
Unhappy Thanks!

I will try removing the seats, I have the rear seat package and they fold up, so it maybe easier to take the carpet off . For now I will just keep repeating "it's only a car", "it's only a car" until I get off work.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:58 PM

2006 E350 2003 ML350
If the smell is still there after you clean, see if you can find a "Living Air Purifier". Many car dealers use them on used vehicles to get rid of oders. They are expensive to buy so you might want to borrow one if you can. I used one on my car and it made a big difference.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
I heard using briquettes of charcoal works too because the smell of the charcoal absorbs everything, i know my uncle used that when he smelled mildew in his beat Pontiac when it was sitting outside for a good 8 months without driving.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How about washing it with a 50/50 solution of backing soda and water? The baking soda will absorb odors as well as neutralize the acid.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Almost a Member!

04 230k sedan
I will try all your suggestions

Of course in less harmful priority. the 50/50 sollution, wet vac will be my first attempt. This seems harmless and it was suggested a couple of times (in different applications).

I appreciate your help on this, to me this is like finding your first scratch/ding on the paint (don't have one of those yet) I will be busy cleaning the car tonight!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:30 PM

C32AMG
Chlorox is an acid?

lol! it's NOT.Corrosive,yes.But it's alkaline,not acidic.
In regard to your efforts to get rid of the stink,it might be best to seek professional help.Good luck.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:27 PM

Smell out of car

I use an air purifier in my car and don't have to deal with the odors from other cars. It will wipe out any odor or gas...so I am sure it would work with chlorox (argh!!)

I purchased it from: http://cleanair.buildinghealth.com They have a 60 day return policy which I didn't have to use. The mobile unit plugs into a car or a regular outlet....it is small and doesn't make noise.... which I like. Check out the promotional offers... you can get one for the car (also works in a 300sq ft room) for less than $200.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
There's some detail places, we have one here where I live, that use ozone machines to kill odor. Ozone has that thri atom of oxygen so it absorbs odor. My dad did it to his Burban that he bought. It smelled of stale beer, cause the guy used to drink in it, and it worked wonders.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
An extractor will remove the bleach.

To eliminate the smell use a product containing Zeolite, an odour-neutralizing mineral made from porous volcanic rock. This type of product absorbs odours, eliminates stale musty air, and will reduce any noxious oil or gasoline fumes. It is non-toxic and when it stops working can be re-charged by warming in a microwave or in the sun

DO NOT use an ozone machine it will destroy your cars interior (I'm talking about the machines (un) professional detailers use not the plug-in to the lighter socket type.