Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Washing a Cab.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Washing a Cab.

I have read the washing instruction sticky post and plan to follow it when I wash my CLK this weekend...if its not raining. But seeing that it's a cabriolet I have a couple of questions before I start. I read the owners manual about how to care for the top so I know not to scrub it down. Its not so dirty anyway so I'll just spray it down to get the dust/dirt off of it. Does anyone know how to wash the tonneau cover that covers the top when it is down without getting a lot of water inside the car? I'd like to hear any tips you guys have for washing a cab.

If all goes well and the weather holds up I plan to zaino my CLK this weekend.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: Washing a Cab. (Cabriolet)

~One mans opinion / observation~

Fabric tops:
Fabric convertible tops (mistakenly referred to as `canvas') are considered to be the best. These are not vinyl or canvas, but a laminate consisting of several components, a top layer of a solution-dyed acrylic textile, a middle layer of butyl rubber or urethane, and the poly-cotton headliner.

The acrylic textile is very UV resistant...that's why it's used in this application. However, it has no inherent soil resistance or water or oil repellence. Therefore, in order to keep the topping material clean, after lamination the topping material is treated with an industrial agent to resist soiling, water & oil based stains.
After a year or so, fabric convertible topping starts to lose is soil and stain resistance...owners begin to notice the fabric gets wet and has to dry out when it rains. The top doesn't leak because of the layer of butyl rubber (that's what it's for). However, wet fabric is an indication that the top can now soil or become stained and that it is time to treat the top with an appropriate fabric protector to prevent soiling and staining. Road dust and dirt settles on the fabric weave and if left will break down the fibres and stitching.

·Use a soft horsehair brush to remove any loose surface dust, use a lint lifter to remove lint from the fabric surface. Be careful around the rear window to avoid scratching
·Apply a fabric cleaner (303™ Fabric & Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner) with clean, damp 100% cotton Alpine DF™ Microfiber towel and leave to penetrate fabric for 15-60 minutes dependant upon stain.
·Rinse off using a low pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
·Dry with a waffle weave Microfiber towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture.
·Finally spray fabric surface with an anti-static protectant that will also provide UV protection and anti-fading (303 High Tech Fabric Guard)

Rear Window:

The fogging on polyvinyl occurs when the plasticizers in the material evaporate due to UV radiation and heat exposure. The plasticizers maintain its softness and flexibility; a good plastic polish (Plexus) will remove scratches and the fogginess and maintain its flexibility. Place a 100% cotton cloth (front and back of rear window) when the top is down, this will help to avoid any surface friction scratches and prolong its durability.
Also avoid putting the top down when the material is damp or wet as this encourages mould and mildew to form
The material used for the `plastic' windows in convertible tops, soft-tops, is a specialized type of vinyl called `Pressed Polished Sheets', or 'pressed polytheist material is actually two layers of non-colour vinyl laminated together under intense pressure and high heat. This process squeezes out all the impurities and renders it perfectly clear.

a)Acrylic plastic - wipe with a damp towel, then spray a clean a damp 100% cotton Alpine DF™ Microfiber towel with Plexus use a light to medium pressure on glass surface, finally buff with a dry Autopia Concourse™ Buffing Towel

If anybody has hints, tips, or corrections to the above procedure, please post them/ send me a pm. I’m always anxious to improve my technique.

~ Hope this helps ~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
Old 02-27-2004, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Wow, thanks . Could you please be more specific about the lint lifter? If I wrap masking tape around my hand with the sticky side out, would that do? or will the tape transfer chemicals to the top?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:00 PM

Black C 240
for cover when top is down my BMW 330cic had the same. I simply would lower the top and clean with a damp cloth or the like, but mine was plastic. With the painted benz cover I would simply dust with a california duster (great device for the whole surface) and then clean/polish/shine with Zaino's Z6.
JBC
Old 02-27-2004, 06:02 PM

2004 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Thanks TOGWT for such a detailed reply. Its much more helpful that the owners manual and I will use it in the future when needed. The piece I was referring to is the cover for the top. I have attached a picture for everyone to see what I am talking about.

Everything from the black trim forward is cover when the top is up. How can I wash this properly.

Thanks jbcritch for your input also. I will keep it in mind.

Thanks again to for all the replies and I'm looking forward to more. If we get enough tips maybe we can make this a sticky or somehow incorperate it into the washing instructions post.

sjclk
Old 02-27-2004, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2024 SL63/2018 E63s Estate
Originally posted by sjclk
Thanks TOGWT for such a detailed reply. Its much more helpful that the owners manual and I will use it in the future when needed. The piece I was referring to is the cover for the top. I have attached a picture for everyone to see what I am talking about.

Everything from the black trim forward is cover when the top is up. How can I wash this properly.

It really only gets dusty on my car and I just use Quick Detail from Meguiars to clean off. I also keep it well waxed so just a quick dusting with my trusty feather duster does the trick most of the time.