Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Clay-Polish-Sealant back to back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 e350 Cabriolet, Ducati Multistrada
Clay-Polish-Sealant back to back?

Hi all,

First post here @ MBWord. Over the winter bought a 2012 e350 Cab with very low miles (12K). All has been well and now I'm looking at using a clay bar, followed by Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish and then Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant.

Is there any issue with doing all of this in one day? Do I need to give some time between the polish and paint sealant?

thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C350e with Comand, Vision Package and seat package, 2017 Mini Cooper S 7
Seems that not many MB users use a clay bar, since there are no replies.

I used a clay bar on my Jaguar after it was a year old. It made a tremendous difference to the ease of cleaning.

I then used Snow Foam and then a standard wash.

The finish was great. A coat of wax and it looked like new.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
FWIW, I have used Dri-Wash for over 20 years. It is not a wax. It is billed as a protectant. We recently bought a '14 ML350 CPO with 30K on the clock. After the first trip to the car wash, I used Dri-Wash on it. As far as I am concerned, it is the simplest way to make a car look good. I actually use it more like Endust. Instead of spraying it on the car, spray it on a microfiber cloth and do about a 3ft by 3ft section. Then I use another to wipe it off. It leaves no residue, even on a black car. I was impressed with the quality of MB paint compared to my Durango. The Dri-Wash is perfect for good paint. I am not affiliated with the product or the company. It's available on eBay. I have used it exclusively on my '67 GTO for over 20 years. I do not use it on a dirty car although you can. Car wash first (the brush kind) for $4.00 (no wet wax), towel dry, then Dri-Wash once a month or so. I will put my cars up against any clay bar, wax job. Of course a photo under bright lights doesn't tell you anything, but at least you can see some sparkle.
Clay-Polish-Sealant back to back?-autorama2015_zpsomwfz76v.jpg
Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 e350 Cabriolet, Ducati Multistrada
Thanks for the post. I agree completely. The car stayed clean and very easy to wash. Now we get to go through another Minnesota winter. We'll see how it holds through that.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
Originally Posted by MNe350
Hi all,

First post here @ MBWord. Over the winter bought a 2012 e350 Cab with very low miles (12K). All has been well and now I'm looking at using a clay bar, followed by Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish and then Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant.

Is there any issue with doing all of this in one day? Do I need to give some time between the polish and paint sealant?

thanks
You'll be fine doing it this way. You'll have to allow the sealant at least 12 hours to cure before topping it with a wax if that's in your plan.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I clay my cars as often as I can and the smooth glass feel of the finish is always amazing

you can do everything in one day ... no need to wait ... some sealants will however advise you to wait a few Hours before applying wax or synthetic polymer final coat