Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

[URGENT] It's so satisfying to catch the person who dinged your car (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 AM
SV-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything SV
[URGENT] It's so satisfying to catch the person who dinged your car (with pictures)

Please note this is not about my C450 but my IS350!
My car paint has been perfect for 2 years, not even a dent or a ding, until yesterday.
I walked back to my car to find this red absolutely hideous Camry next to me. As I opened the my door I realized there was a very small ding, with red paint on it, at the perfect spot where his door would it. Because it was my first ding and I thought "hey I caught the guy" I called the police, which took some time to arrive. In the meantime the owner of the car and his family (and extended) arrived, all in all 15 people (hahaha). I confronted him and he denied, saying he wasn't responsible, but for some reason he didn't want to open his rear driver door to see if its position matched my ding! However he did open his front passenger door and said "hey it doesn't even touch your car", to which I answered "are you kidding me?". After the cops arrived they asked him to open the door and I got a clear picture.

As we were talking his daughter came to my front left fender and started rubbing the paint with her nails (LOL). My wife was right behind her and gave her a push away, and told me immediately... I started yelling at them "why the hell do you do that? Wasn't one ding enough?" Everybody had their mouths shut at that point and didn't know what to answer. But as they say, that'll buff out.

TLDR : Now I kind of regret doing all this for a tiny ding and I'm having second thoughts about claiming it to my insurance or not. It's just that the faulty car and person were obviously there and I wanted to protect myself, thinking I could repair it for free. I also think I got emotional because the car was flawless before that, but these things happen and I'm not so mad about it. Going back in time, I think I should just have let it go and repaired it myself. I'm sure it can be done without the hassle of going through insurance, etc.

Opinions, thoughts? Comments?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Flashback 4 months ago. I am waiting outside of a restaurant where my son works- I was their to bring him home. I'm waiting in the parking lot. Nearby a Minivan comes by and attempts to swing into an open parking spot. Oops= the driver is going real wide and won't make it into the spot, but the driver doesn't slow down or stop- driver smacks into an SUV in an adjoining space. Driver gets out of her minivan, stops, looks at the damage to her car, looks at the damage to the SUV, gets back in her car, and then drives off.

Somehow I had the sense that the Minivan driver was not going to do the right thing. I wrote down a vehicle description and license plate number and left a note on the SUV's windshield.

I have come back to my own car only to have found it was dinged.Happened many times. No one ever fessed up, but once I was still sitting in my car when someone opened up their door right into my car. That was being caught red handed.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
His insurance should pay for the repair. People just do not care. I love the fact that I can park in a handicap spot but even there you get dinged by idiots.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
that red paint is horrible. my kids are small and they know not to swing open doors.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Asses.... People need to own their ****.
I was sitting in my car when some HUGE person wedged into the spot next to me, slammed her door into my car and then went into a store WHILE I confronted her and asked her to stop.
I had four witnesses and she still denied.
It was a four inch high gash in the paint because of her weight as she excited her car.
Cops wouldn't respond... They refused.
My insurance paid.
People are not nice when they are either jealous of unaccountable...