Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Any way to tell...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any way to tell...

I was wondering if there was any way to tell if I waxed my car properly. I followed the instructions posted here, but I have this feeling I either didnt do it right or I didnt use enough wax and/or polish. The surface isnt as smooth (doesnt really glide), the dead bugs (and other stuff) are tougher to get off and some I cant even wash off, and I dont think the paint is as shiny (although I've heard you cant really notice it on a silver car). Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I doubt I did it correctly.

One more thing...after I polished the car, I could see marks on the car that I couldnt get out. Hard to describe, but it seems like "residue" from the strokes of the wash mit. I dont know if that makes sense. Although you cant see it regularly, it only came up when I looked at it carefully under the light, what is wrong here? Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Paint Detailing Basics:

Washing- utilizing two buckets, one for the car wash solution, and one for rinsing the wash mitt, as always work from the top down, rinsing both the vehicle and wash mitt frequently, ensuring a flow from clean to dirty panels etc.

Drying-using a Microfiber waffle weave-drying towel, gently pull the towel across the paint surface.

Cleaning- Water and car wash concentrate will wash away the loose particles but not the embedded pollution. Regardless of how clean you think your paint is there are still contaminants stuck on the paint that you need to remove before pre-wax cleaning, polishing or applying a protection to your paint.

Polishing-dependant upon the paint films surface condition, use a suitably abrasive polish.

Paint Surface Cleaners-will remove surface imperfections, improve surface gloss and provide better adhesion and durability for the applied protection

Paint Film Surface Protection-

These are the steps required before you apply a wax or polymer sealant. Without using detailing clay there could be imbedded contaminents that will not allow you wax to dond with the paint surface.