Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Pollen! Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Question Pollen! Any suggestions?

I live in the Washington, DC area and the pollen this Spring has been absolutely brutal. If I wash my car in the evening, then park it in my driveway overnight, by the next morning it is TOTALLY covered in with bright green pollen dust. (By the way, my car is black which doesn't help matters!)

Just wondering how others are dealing with this and if anyone has suggestions for a solution - aside from parking in a garage (which I don't have) or using a car cover every night.

If the car's finish is clean other than the pollen, is there something that I could use to quickly lift or brush off the pollen and not need to totally wash it again?

Any help and/or feedback is appreciated!
Old 05-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
My only suggestion is to use a good wax/polish which will make the removal easier. I'd be very wary of trying to dust off the pollen. I'd rather hose it off.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 PM

96 ///M3
go to checkers or somewhere and get a california car duster, safe and work great
Old 05-13-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I’d second coloboardin suggestion.

Pollen:
Is both an abrasive and a corrosivedust and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable. Use a (California Car Duster) lightly brush the surface using long strokes in one direction only.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
Old 05-13-2004, 03:31 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally posted by TOGWT
[B
Pollen:
Is both an abrasive and a corrosivedust and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable. Use a (California Car Duster) lightly brush the surface using long strokes in one direction only.

[/B]
Thanks for the feedback. I may give the California Car Duster a try, but as revstriker mentioned, I'm a little bit wary that brushing the dust off might scratch the finish. In that case, I think I can live with pollen until the next wash as I'd rather have pollen on my car temporarily than a scratched finsih.

Once again, thanks for the input everyone.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:45 PM

99 E320
Reply Dust in DC

I am also in Washington and Have a Black MB-W210. A little over a month ago I went to a Meguires Seminar - Rod Kraft Area Manager, great informational seminar- hands-on with many products. The Quick Detailler is made for that need. I too was washing every other day which took up too much time. The quick detailer product is a solution which is a spray on, and wipe off in a polishing movement. It will remove pollen and other abrasive elements like bugs, bird poop, and acid rain. It can be purchased locally in a retail size or commercial size which is very economical.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I had that problem when I lived in Houston. I used a car duster to get it off my black Maxima. Now I use quick detailer for that kind of stuff.