Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

When to remove old wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 11:06 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts
Question When to remove old wax?

Does wax ever need to be stripped? Example, my car is about 10 mo's old and it was waxed with 100% pure carnuba (no cleaners) when brand new and I've been keeping it maintained with eagle one wax as u dry with every wash, so in essence it's always waxed. The car is garaged at my office and at home. The paint is super smooth with no contaminets felt. Do I/should I strip the wax every so often and do it again for the best shine or can I keep applying new wax over the old until I start to notice roughness then clay or use a cleaner wax and start all over again?

P.S. By only hand washing (using Pinnacle body shampoo, thanks Al B) with up and down parallel motions, hand waxing with no cleaners and maintaing the finish with the eagle one, I have NO, "0" swirls in the paint at all and I do not have nano paint. The MB dealer's Service Director and my advisor were amazed at the condition of the paint .
Old 05-14-2004, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: When to remove old wax?

Originally posted by RJC
Does wax ever need to be stripped? Example, my car is about 10 mo's old and it was waxed with 100% pure carnuba (no cleaners) when brand new and I've been keeping it maintained with eagle one wax as u dry with every wash, so in essence it's always waxed. The car is garaged at my office and at home. The paint is super smooth with no contaminets felt. Do I/should I strip the wax every so often and do it again for the best shine or can I keep applying new wax over the old until I start to notice roughness then clay or use a cleaner wax and start all over again?

P.S. By only hand washing (using Pinnacle body shampoo, thanks Al B) with up and down parallel motions, hand waxing with no cleaners and maintaing the finish with the eagle one, I have NO, "0" swirls in the paint at all and I do not have nano paint. The MB dealer's Service Director and my advisor were amazed at the condition of the paint .
Good to hear! My MB dealer wants me to detail some of their cars now lol. Personally I am a big zaino user and since I live in the northeast with harsh weather conditions the cars to need to be clayed and claying will induce some scratches which will then require polishing. If your paint is perfect and no contaminants felt I would go ahead and keep up your routine! I personally would use a full fledged carnuaba wax every so often (once a month) containing no cleaners along with the wax as you dry. I still think you should give zaino a try
Old 05-14-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Carnauba wax evaporates over time (dependant upon ambient temperatures), which limits its durability. As a general rule-of-thumb: 50% after 30 days, 75% is gone after 60 days and after 90 days it should be reapplied.

I’m a long time user of wax until I tried Zanio, trust me you’ll like it

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
Old 05-14-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Try Zaino, you won't go back. If you try Zaino, make sure you get a couple of their application pads. It makes application even easier. You can wash the dirt out of them.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:23 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts
I have yet to try my Pinnacle soverign wax and some special wax that was sent to me by MSI of Venice Florida(941-485-8199), what a great company to deal with and if you call they might just add a generous sample of the custom blends specifically for your application . I also have about 4-5 other waxes and polishes. My girlfriend thinks I've lost my mind...maybe she's right :p . I hear you guys about Ziano, it has the best feedback I've seen.

So, to address my original question, no need to remove old wax, as it evaporates or does only carnuba do this?

Thanks