Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Ceramic Coating Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
Ceramic Coating Options

I am currently considering a ceramic coating, CQFinest or Modesta (4 or 5) and possibly a PPF application to the bumper, hood, mirrors. Curious what people on the forum have been doing. Seems you can go with a more expensive coating that will last 3+ years, or go with a more basic coating and plan to reapply after 2 years. Pricing would be comparable, question is how long do they really last and if pricey coating is truly better over the same period. Finally, PPF is a bit pricey, question is it really worth it. Or more perceived than actual.

Appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Local detailer does it all, impressive quals. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
PPF on the bumper, full hood, and mirrors. PPF will protect from chips and would recommend if doing any highway driving...especially on a black car. 3 coats of ceramic (Gtechniq) on the whole car (on top of PPF, as well) including the wheels and glass. This was all done after a full paint correction on my newly delivered GLC43. I've had the PPF on prior cars and think it's worth it. The jury's still out on the ceramic coating, but I'm leaning towards NOT worth it to me. A nice detail/wax a couple times a year would probably be sufficient and you could do multiple years for same or less than the ceramic. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:06 PM

'18 Black GLC63S
Thanks Chrisk03. Maybe I’ll reconfigure my approach here and go with PFF on the bumper, hood and mirrors, and instead of the more expensive ceramic coating, I’ll do any entry level version and just plan to reapply in a couple of years.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Nationalleaguer
Thanks Chrisk03. Maybe I’ll reconfigure my approach here and go with PFF on the bumper, hood and mirrors, and instead of the more expensive ceramic coating, I’ll do any entry level version and just plan to reapply in a couple of years.
Definitely do the PPF seeing you are in Chicago and come across snow/rock salt every once and awhile. I know I've taken some shots in rental cars going in/out on 90 to O'Hare. I might also think about adding PPF to the rear bumper, if you do a lot of parking in the city. Otherwise, not a bad approach, depending on the cost for the coating. I would definitely suggest getting the details of the coating...base vs "more expensive". Are they using the same coating product or is the difference of base/expensive just the # of coats (ie. 1 vs 3)? For a ballpark, with paint correction and 3 layers of ceramic on whole exterior, it was roughly $1600. Look forward to seeing your 63S when you get it, been a long wait.
The following users liked this post:
Nationalleaguer (03-29-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 Bluetec
PPF for sure. Add the A pillars, door cups and door edges too. Kamikazi Myabi coat is a very high quality ceramic coating that is easy to DIY. Do this after the PPF goes on. Top it off with OPT Opti-seal in place of wax as your top dressing. This stuff works great as a rinse aid as you are drying too.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
Plan on dong paint correction and CQuartz ceramic coating on mine, and follow with PPF , full front end and mirrors. GL on your decision!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 PM

'18 Black GLC63S
I did full front clip Xpel PPF and full exterior CQuartz Professional. Needed paint correction, even though car was brand new but these guys do it right. So far, looks great. Really glad I went with Chicago Auto Pros here in Chicagoland. I posted a couple of pics on the GLC 43/63 forum. Not cheap, but neither was the car, so it’s all relative.