Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help with Buffing out Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Buffing out Swirl Marks

Hi,

Well summer (at least whats considered summer for New England) has finally hit the boston area and I have been enjoying detailing my car with zaino. I must say that the product is awesome and my car looks awesome.

I have been using the Z5 product (the one that supposedly removes swirls) and have been pretty happy. I have already put down about 3 coats of it since the weather turned nice. It does a decent job of HIDING the swirls on my black car.

However, being the disgruntled detailer I am not happy with the swirls that I have and even with Z5 I can see a lot of the swirls in sunlight and flourescent light.

I want a perfect car so my project in the next few weeks is to use a Random Orbital Buffer and really get at the swirl marks and then put down 3-4 coats of zaino (Z2 this time should be fine I hope since I am almost out of Z5).

I know this has been covered before but I am **** and this is my first time so I really want to do it right.

Here is what I think I am supposed to do. Can the detailing experts please correct me if I am wrong.

1) Fully dawn wash the car (I have already adopted the 3 bucket washing technique and using MicroFiber).

2) Dry Car (doesn't have to be perfect)

3) Clay the Car completely using Meguiar's Quick Detail Spray or equivalent as lubricant. (Now I am not sure if this step is necessary because I clayed my car in the fall last year)

4) Wash car again with Dawn (Is this right? Do I need to wash car again after Clay?)

5) Dry Car (doesn't have to be perfect)

6) Use Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish with a Porter 7336 dual action orbital polisher with the yellow pad. Follow the instruction in the sticky on how to apply.

7) Do I wash the car again now?

8) Use Meguiars #9 Swirl mark remover but now with the white pad I believe? Do the same as step 6.

9) Wash car with Dawn yet another time.

10) Dry Car completely and let sit for a couple of hours.

11) Put Zaino Z2 with ZFX.

12) Wipe off and use Zaino Quick Detail Spray.

13) Put another coat Z2 with ZFX.

14) Buff off and use Zaino Quick Detail Spray.

15) Pass out from exhaustion and heat stroke on the driveway.

16) Wake up see the shine and wet yourself

My questions are as follows.

Do I need to do steps 3, 4, 5 (claying the car)??? I don't think I should because I feel that the paint is ok (just clayed 8 months ago) and also if I am using a buffer I feel that it will remove anything the clay would have removed anyways. However I want a perfect shine and since I am already taking the time I want to do it right. If clay helps even a little then I will do it - but I want to hear why it will help.

Also why do I need the DACP and #9? What do they do? Any explanation would be helpful as I like to know why I am doing something. Is the DACP a mild abrasive and the #9 a light abrasive? I have done a lot of woodworking so it sounds like using different grits of sandpaper.

In the DACP step what do you mean by buffing until it completely hazes? Will the product eventually dissapear into the paint sort of like Zaino does?

Do I need to wash between DACP and #9? It seems logical to wash the car as applying #9 with the buffer right after applying DACP is like buffing the DACP twice which may cut into the paint more than desired. The sticky doesn't mention anything about washing. But so many of the dawn washes scares me as dawn is not very nice to paint and the definitely discolors paint over time. This is from experience with non-clearcoated cars. Is this still a problem with clearcoat?

Sorry for the super long post. I would really appreciate any help you detailing experts can provide me.

I can't wait to have my car looking shiny and swirl free. It should go nice with my new HRE's and carlsson coilovers.

Of course all this hard work is negated since I take my car to the track so much (7 days so far - and at least 10 more coming up). The front end looks like it went through a game of dodgeball with little stones instead of *****. I will probably get it repainted in a year or so.

Thanks again for any help you all can provide me.

Prasith

PS: Ali are you in the Boston area this summer. We should hang out so I can absorb some of your detailing knowledge. Or at least throw back a few drinks. PM me when you get a chance I lost your number.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Help with Buffing out Swirl Marks

Originally posted by Prasith32
Hi,

Well summer (at least whats considered summer for New England) has finally hit the boston area and I have been enjoying detailing my car with zaino. I must say that the product is awesome and my car looks awesome.

I have been using the Z5 product (the one that supposedly removes swirls) and have been pretty happy. I have already put down about 3 coats of it since the weather turned nice. It does a decent job of HIDING the swirls on my black car.

However, being the disgruntled detailer I am not happy with the swirls that I have and even with Z5 I can see a lot of the swirls in sunlight and flourescent light.

I want a perfect car so my project in the next few weeks is to use a Random Orbital Buffer and really get at the swirl marks and then put down 3-4 coats of zaino (Z2 this time should be fine I hope since I am almost out of Z5).

I know this has been covered before but I am **** and this is my first time so I really want to do it right.

Here is what I think I am supposed to do. Can the detailing experts please correct me if I am wrong.

1) Fully dawn wash the car (I have already adopted the 3 bucket washing technique and using MicroFiber).

2) Dry Car (doesn't have to be perfect)

3) Clay the Car completely using Meguiar's Quick Detail Spray or equivalent as lubricant. (Now I am not sure if this step is necessary because I clayed my car in the fall last year)

4) Wash car again with Dawn (Is this right? Do I need to wash car again after Clay?)

5) Dry Car (doesn't have to be perfect)

6) Use Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish with a Porter 7336 dual action orbital polisher with the yellow pad. Follow the instruction in the sticky on how to apply.

7) Do I wash the car again now?

8) Use Meguiars #9 Swirl mark remover but now with the white pad I believe? Do the same as step 6.

9) Wash car with Dawn yet another time.

10) Dry Car completely and let sit for a couple of hours.

11) Put Zaino Z2 with ZFX.

12) Wipe off and use Zaino Quick Detail Spray.

13) Put another coat Z2 with ZFX.

14) Buff off and use Zaino Quick Detail Spray.

15) Pass out from exhaustion and heat stroke on the driveway.

16) Wake up see the shine and wet yourself

My questions are as follows.

Do I need to do steps 3, 4, 5 (claying the car)??? I don't think I should because I feel that the paint is ok (just clayed 8 months ago) and also if I am using a buffer I feel that it will remove anything the clay would have removed anyways. However I want a perfect shine and since I am already taking the time I want to do it right. If clay helps even a little then I will do it - but I want to hear why it will help.

Also why do I need the DACP and #9? What do they do? Any explanation would be helpful as I like to know why I am doing something. Is the DACP a mild abrasive and the #9 a light abrasive? I have done a lot of woodworking so it sounds like using different grits of sandpaper.

In the DACP step what do you mean by buffing until it completely hazes? Will the product eventually dissapear into the paint sort of like Zaino does?

Do I need to wash between DACP and #9? It seems logical to wash the car as applying #9 with the buffer right after applying DACP is like buffing the DACP twice which may cut into the paint more than desired. The sticky doesn't mention anything about washing. But so many of the dawn washes scares me as dawn is not very nice to paint and the definitely discolors paint over time. This is from experience with non-clearcoated cars. Is this still a problem with clearcoat?

Sorry for the super long post. I would really appreciate any help you detailing experts can provide me.

I can't wait to have my car looking shiny and swirl free. It should go nice with my new HRE's and carlsson coilovers.

Of course all this hard work is negated since I take my car to the track so much (7 days so far - and at least 10 more coming up). The front end looks like it went through a game of dodgeball with little stones instead of *****. I will probably get it repainted in a year or so.

Thanks again for any help you all can provide me.

Prasith

PS: Ali are you in the Boston area this summer. We should hang out so I can absorb some of your detailing knowledge. Or at least throw back a few drinks. PM me when you get a chance I lost your number.
hehe, i have ur number. I'll call u and pm u mine. If u want i can do the car for u lol.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali,

Send me a PM or give me a call. I am planning on giving my car a nice wash next week after my track day.

Also if there are a few nice days next week I plan on tackling the job.

Can anybody tell me if those steps look correct?

Prasith