Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

zaino question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
zaino question

well, i tried to pry out some info from Sal Zaino re the Z1 step but it sounds sort of voodooish to me. what does it exactly do? why do i need to apply it?

sal said, "Z-1 is not your typical precleaner. It is a very special base coat for Show Car polish. It is essential to use first even on brand new paint. Z-1 is to be applied once a year for Show Cars and twice a year for street driven cars. Z-1 will not remove any Z-2 polish when reapplied. It will however, tighten up the molecular structure of the Zaino polish system. It is an important part of the system."

anyway, he answered my question of how often to apply it (2x a year).

my other question, he did not answer. how do you remove zaino? anyone know? i want to remove portions where i want to apply some Xpel film.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 ES300h
Dawn detergent, clay bar, and dawn rewash should do it.
Old 11-27-2001, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Mercedes Windshiled wash liquid (Whats in your windshield washer tank) will strip Zaino off !
Old 11-27-2001, 07:33 PM
Banned

2001 C240
When I e-mailed Zaino about stripping off old Zaino after a year, they said you don't ever have to do it, and Dawn won't do it.
Old 11-27-2001, 07:48 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Take a spray bottle and mix it with 50% isopropyl alcohol and 50% water. Spray on, let sit for a couple of seconds, and wipe off with a 100% cotton towel.

On another note, I am very skeptical about layering any product infinitely on my paint as Sal suggests. During the course of normal driving, debris will get stuck in your sealant. This debris cannot be removed with normal washing. And contrary to popular belief, clay bars are not the answer to everything that ails your cars paint. IMHO, everybody should strip and start over at least once a year. I start over every 6 months. Once in the spring, then again in the fall.

I personnally do not use alcohol and water to strip my klasse. I use the ABC system on the cars I detail. MB also uses this product on all of our cars before we take delivery. They re-sell it under the "Master Prep" (Chrysler brand) label. The original creator of the product is Automotive International http://www.autoint.com . This company works with all OEM paint suppliers and automakers to come up with products that will increase the life of automotive paint.

ABC is a three step system. "A" removes all of your old wax/sealants. "B" will remove all industrial fallout (ie rust specs) that are less than 120 days old. And "C" is an excellent carwash that will return your paint to the factory spec PH level. All three must be used together in the correct order for the products to work properly. This stuff will give your paint a good deep cleaning.

One thing to keep in mind, this system can only be used on cars with clearcoated finishes.

If you need more info, visit the site. They have alot of to share.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
thanks for the info. i'll try the alcohol/h2o first. i just want to remove a little at the door edges to apply the xpel film.