Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Waxing the MB for the first time.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Waxing the MB for the first time.

I'm going to clean, polish and wax my Smoke Silver SL500.

I have done a bunch of recearch on the net and had pretty well decided to use Meguiar's Deep Crystal #1, #2 and then Meguiar's #26 High Tech Yellow Wax.

Then I found this:

"MEGUIAR #26 HI-TECH YELLOW WAX... May cause clouding on certain German finishes".

Does anyone know if it is the case that MB paints react badly to polimer wax coatings?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
I had recently scrubbed the soft top and applied a healthy coat of "303 High Tech Fabric Guard". Water beads on the canvas now in very large drops. I think it worked well.

In the process of spraying the petrolium distilate product onto the soft top ... I managed to overspray onto the adjacent glass and paint. I have not washed since. Just wiped up the mess with a damp towel at the time.

How would I best remove this residue from the paint surface before the three stage polish treatment I am planning?

Websites say do not use dish washing detergent because of its alcalinity. Yet I see blue Dawn touted as a good cleaner.

Please advise and clairify.