Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Water spot on my paint and chrome,how to remove it ? W213

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211
Water spot on my paint and chrome,how to remove it ? W213

My car is just took 2 month . It has some water spot on the chrome and paint , I use meguiar gold class shampoo and collinite 476S wax . But some of the water spot is still there. I cant clear it. What I should to remove all the water spot especially for the chrome . It just like haze on the chrome .
Old 11-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
I think I used some CLR on my Infinity back it the day. Now I know when I had some stubborn water spots on my windows, I ended up using a little rubbing compound on a buffer and it got it out. Not sure how it would work on Chrome but I'd give it a try if it was me
Old 11-27-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
Definitely do not use CLR on your paint. CLR is an acid cleaner that has the ability to eat through the clear coat paint and chrome. Neither the shampoo nor the wax you used are going ot take care of calcium deposits on the paint. If I were you, I would wash the car with a detergent like Dawn to remove the existing wax which is now covering the water spots. I would then either use a wax with some cleaners in it, or do the more labor intensive process of claying, polishing and waxing the car. For the chrome, I really like NevrDull. It should take the haze and water spots right off the chrome without much effort.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by merlin3008
Definitely do not use CLR on your paint. CLR is an acid cleaner that has the ability to eat through the clear coat paint and chrome. Neither the shampoo nor the wax you used are going ot take care of calcium deposits on the paint. If I were you, I would wash the car with a detergent like Dawn to remove the existing wax which is now covering the water spots. I would then either use a wax with some cleaners in it, or do the more labor intensive process of claying, polishing and waxing the car. For the chrome, I really like NevrDull. It should take the haze and water spots right off the chrome without much effort.
Do you use wax cleaner to clean your car? how long you will use it? I took my car on June 2018 , do I have to use wax cleaner now?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
Originally Posted by keong8867
Do you use wax cleaner to clean your car? how long you will use it? I took my car on June 2018 , do I have to use wax cleaner now?
Sorry to not explain more fully. Aside from washing, there are three big steps you should be doing to maintain and protect the finish of your car.
  • Decontaminate - use a metal decontamination product like IronX to remove metal contamination in the paint. Tiny bits of metal from things like your brakes often become embedded in the paint. Getting rid of it helps reduce the chance of long term paint damage. You can also use a clay bar to remove other surface contaminants.
  • Polish - After paint is clean, you polish the paint to remove imperfections and restore gloss. The courser the polish, the more defects and scratches it will remove. You always want to finish up with a fine polish so you don't see polishing marks, haze, or holograms.
  • Protect - You want to protect your paint with a wax or sealant.
I typically, do the full process on my car once every four months or so. It takes the better part of day if I can concentrate on it. Now here is where it gets tricky. There are products on the market called "cleaner waxes." They include the typically wax products you find in your local store. They include a mild polish as well as a protectant. They don't do either particularly well, but they are good if you are looking to do things in one step. I do not use a cleaner wax. I go through the process of using a dedicated polish and sealant. I alter the polish that I use to match the condition of the paint. If I find a lot of heavy defects, I use a heavier compound. If not, i can go right to a finishing polish.

When I get a new car from the factory, I immediately do a full detail. Most dealerships will polish a car somewhat, but not decontaminate or wax. As a result, there is often a lot of rail dust and other metal in the paint. I also want to be sure I have a good starting point for regular washes. A good layer of wax will protect from the elements and make future maintenance easier.

I would suggest going to site like AutoGeek and looking at their forum. There are so many how to detailing videos that do a much better job of explaining than I do.