Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Newbie needs help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Newbie needs help!

I am a complete newbie at aesthetic maintenance. My idea of washing a car is ot take it a hand car wash.

First question. Full of ambition, I went and got the Mercedes kit. They have things like `Paint Cleaner,' `Paint Care,' .... On this site, I read about clay, sealant, .... Is htere a correspondence?

Second question: How should I clean glass (windshield, lights, ..) and trnasparent plastic (covers for displays). What is the cover for the instrument panel -- plastic I suppose?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:08 AM

Turbo Diesel
i use stoner's glass cleaner on the instrument cluster covering and have never had a problem . . .
Old 07-02-2004, 10:34 AM

2004 E500
I recently tried ArmorAll glass wipes because I was in a hurry and was surprised to find that they really are streak-free. But I really believe that the best way to clean glass and clear plastic is the old-fashioned way: a clean terry cloth towel with a bucket of water as hot as you can stand it. I use rubber kitchen gloves so I can tolerate a higher temperature. Wipe with a wet towel until it stops squeaking and then dry with a clean dry towel. The glass will be streak free with absolutely no residue.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
check sticky's on this forum (first couple of threads...)
Old 07-02-2004, 11:02 AM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by moa4r
check sticky's on this forum (first couple of threads...)
That's good advice. Those stickeys give a graduate education in car appearance care.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 PM

E55
Thanks everyone for your advice. But no one answered my other question. The Mercedes kit has things like `Paint Cleaner,' `Paint Care,' .... What are they? On this site, I read about clay, sealant, .... Is there a correspondence?