Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What Leather Cleaner Works Best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
Question What Leather Cleaner Works Best?

hey!
What is the easiest and fastest product to clean the leather in a Mercedes? The Leather Care that comes with the Mercedes Benz Car Care Kit does not work good at all. I don't want to use Leatherique because it takes to long for good results, lol

Also, a cleaner for the plastic soft top windows on a 2001 SL500...does PlastX from Meguiars work good?

PS-The leather cleaner needs to be safe on Nappa leather, AMG leather in the ML55, and the leather in the W220 E-class.

Any recommendations are appreciated...thanks!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by akbro93704
hey!
What is the easiest and fastest product to clean the leather in a Mercedes? The Leather Care that comes with the Mercedes Benz Car Care Kit does not work good at all. I don't want to use Leatherique because it takes to long for good results, lol

Also, a cleaner for the plastic soft top windows on a 2001 SL500...does PlastX from Meguiars work good?

PS-The leather cleaner needs to be safe on Nappa leather, AMG leather in the ML55, and the leather in the W220 E-class.

Any recommendations are appreciated...thanks!!!
For Leather I like
Einszett Leather Care(German made) Here is a link to leather cleaning.

Leather /Interior cleaning

For plastic I have only used Plexus Plastic Polish. Here is a link to plastic care.
Plastic and Glass care

As for the type of leather Einszett is made in Germany and is the safest PH for leather.
Any more questions just PM me email or just reply to this thread.
Jon
Old 07-13-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Leather cleaning / conditioning is a three step process, comprising; Cleaning, Conditioning and UV radiation protection

1. Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit’s Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite or Dreft 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar’s hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider using a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique’s Prestine Clean, Groit’s Leather Cleaner or Autoglym Leather Cleaner)

With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won’t discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.

2. Maintenance- recommend a preventative maintenance routine three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products restore the lost moisture and maintain it’s natural flexibility. The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide. Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot’s Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)

3. UVR Protection- you should consider additional sunscreen protection (especially if you own a convertible) Leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and a UVR Protectant. One month use a conditioner to keep the leather healthy and supple. On alternate months mist and wipe the leather with a UV protectant. After application allow 60 minutes for product to cure, then using a 100% cotton cloth lightly buff surface.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:11 PM

1999 CL500; 1992 500E:1991 560SEC
I have real good luck with the MB leather cleaner.......works great for me. I don't let dirt build up esp. in summer when i wear shorts (sweaty legs!!!). It removed all the hand goo from my steering wheel..noo problem. Must keep changing towel surface in contact with the leather.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:07 PM

S600 Coupe. 560SEC, E55
Leatherique is the best.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mark Pedersen
Leatherique is the best.
Agreed.