Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paint Damage Smears?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Damage Smears?

Last weekend I applied Zaino products to my 2004 C320 Coupe. For the most part the Zaino has produced a great shine. However, I noticed after washing the car that I have some streaks on the hood that I cannot remove.

Since taking delivery this car has been washed at a local commercial car wash which washes by hand. Now that I have more time I decided to go with Zaino to get a good gloss on the car.

After washing with dawn, claying the car, and rewashing I dried the car and noticed dull streaks across the hood which start in a knotted area which looks like the imprint of a rag. I tried claying and re-washing the area again but there was no change in the streaks. I took care while drying to dry in a direction which was different from the streaks to make sure that I didn't leave any drying marks.

At this point I figured that if I apply the Zaino Z2 polish (mixed with ZFX) it may remove the streaking. As it turns out, in direct sunlight the hood looks great with a deep shine. But in the shade or overcast conditions, the streaks are very visible.

My theory is something may have been wiped over the hood which has left
the dull streaks.

While washing the car and applyiny the Zaino I used exactly the same steps as I used on my girlfriend's coupe which was delivered 3 days before my Coupe. On her car there are no streaks to be found. Both cars have metallic paint.

I'm not an expert on details but after soem google searches I'm guessing at this stage my options are to strip the Z2 off and try a deep paint cleaner, or use a mild rubbing compound to try and polish out the streaking before reapplying the Zaino product.

Can anyone suggest how to remove these dull streaks from my hood? Or what I should do to get this fixed?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:03 PM

E55
Try having the hoo buffed out by a professional with a very mild compound - like you would do to remove swirl marks. This will strip off the Zainos and should rid you of the streaks unless they really are deep in the paint.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I would try the ‘soft’ approach…wash with Z7 and dry thoroughly, if they remain, try a pre-wax cleaner (P21S Paint Cleaner) and then try a mild machine polish, and then …(I’m sure you follow my train of thought)
Always use the least aggressive product first, evaluate the surface, then only if necessary, ‘step-up’ to a more abrasive products

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon
justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
Old 07-14-2004, 02:28 PM

Thanks. I'll try washing again with Z7 and if that doesn't work move on to a paint cleaner. Will I need to strip off the Z2 before using a paint cleaner? (I've heard talk of Zainoing in marks and needing to remove the Zaino before getting to the marks.) If so, what do I use to remove Zaino?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:23 PM

Thanks. I ended up cleaning the hood with P21S which removed most of the marks. The few remaining blemishes were easily removed using Scratch X which I also needed to use on a couple of scuffs on the mirrors from the dealer not being careful when removing the packing cardboard.

Now after a couple of coats of Z-5 and a few more of Z-2 the paint is looking fantastic.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
I'm glad it worked out for you...