Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Dealership 3M Clear Bra & Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2020 | 01:49 PM

2017 C300 Coupe, 2020 GLC 43
Dealership 3M Clear Bra & Ceramic Coating

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2020 GLC 43 AMG and I was thinking of adding a clear bra and also a ceramic coating at a local installer but the dealership had a few offers through them. Are these any good from the dealership or not as good as doing it somewhere else? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2020 | 11:53 PM
Veteran: Air Force

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by akramsheira
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2020 GLC 43 AMG and I was thinking of adding a clear bra and also a ceramic coating at a local installer but the dealership had a few offers through them. Are these any good from the dealership or not as good as doing it somewhere else? Thanks.
I would focus on how much experience the installer(s) have, if you can find out, rather than who they work for.

Often an independent installer focuses on a specific task, like vinyl wrapping. But your dealership might also have hired a good installer. I would try to talk to them and look at previous jobs to get a feel for their workmanship before I made the decision.

BTW, I have Expel clear on the front half of my C217 coupe (after checking out the installer's shop) but did not do ceramic coating.
Old 04-22-2020 | 08:45 AM

2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
I am personally not a fan of clear bras. I hate the visible lines on the body and do not like how they age. Removing them after they become dull and/or discolored can be a huge pain. I have heard good things about ceramic coating though even thought I do not have experience with them myself.

Detailing work at a dealer can be hit or miss. Sometimes they have good installers or they outsource to a local pro shop. That being said, I've seen just as many hack jobs come out of high end dealerships that have needed to be fixed by real pros. If I were going to spend big money on a new car paint prep and coating, I'd do my local research and find a detailer that does great work. It's also never a bad idea to have a relationship with someone for ongoing work. I've not known many people who get good detailing time after time at the dealer.
Old 04-23-2020 | 06:29 AM

2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Expel

I had the dealer install Expel on both our MB from the front door forward, also the rocker panels, the splash area of the rear wheels, and the trunk loading deck. Was able to negotiate it for free during the purchase of both cars. Not a fan of the 1/2 covering of the front hood as it would show a line across the hood. Both of our cars have full hood covering. My last vehicle was a Lexus 460LS Black no Expel. The front of the hood was peppered with nicks and the white primer showed through. After 2 years of MB ownership with Expel, absolutely zero cosmetic damage on the areas of the car covered with Expel. FYI, the local rate to cover my S560 was between $2,300 and $3,000 but as I said, I was able to have the dealer through it with the purchase.

Last edited by fun33; 04-23-2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: spelling