Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

MB touch-up stick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
MB touch-up stick

What is the touch up stick? I went to my dealer to buy one and he told me it was essentially a bottle of paint with nail polish type brush. I had the impression it was more like a pen. If hte latter how wide is the tip (nib)?

I have seen other pens on hte market. Any recommendations?

If I must use a paint-brush, should I be thinning the paint first?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:39 AM

It's what your dealer described. The bottle I got has the nail polish brush. The dealer told me to shake the bottle for 3 minutes before using it. I think most people use a toothpick instead of the brush to apply the paint.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Paint Surface Touch-Up: Alternative products / Methodology

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Methodology:

Clean – Paint – Sand level – Polish – Protect
·Establish the vehicles paint colour code that can be found on a plaque in the engine compartment or from your vehicle dealership.
·Purchase a touch-up paint from the dealership, Paint Scratch (paintscratch.com specializes in original factory matched touch-up paint) or a touch-up pen from AutoSharp Pen (autosharpen.com)
·Test the paint in an inconspicuous area before using to ensure colour match
·Use a cleaning product that will clean the area of oil, crease, dirt, polish and wax (P21S Total Auto Wash)
·Use a sanding block and 1200 grit paper (Ace Hardware Rubber Block) soak the block and paper overnight, with a water / soap solution 6:1 for lubrication, or a spot sanding tool (Griot’s P/N 50875) using a light to medium pressure to clean any surface rust or deposits of dirt or wax/polish.
·Soak the area to be repaired with the lubrication solution and keep it well lubricated while sanding
·Once the area is thoroughly cleaned, apply a primer using a touch-up paint applicator (Groit’s P/N 50406)
·Dip the tip of the applicator into the primer and gently touch the paint chip with the tip of the applicator. Should you over-fill; use a clean applicator to soak up any excess.
·Once the primer is thoroughly dry, using either the paint applicator, not the oversized brush that comes with the manufactures touch-up paint, or an AutoSharp Pen® touch-up paint applicator. The pen features a felt tipped applicator that allows you to literally "colour" the damage away.
·Apply clear coat paint in the same manner a coloured paint
·Allow each coat of applied paint to dry for >2-3 hours before the application of subsequent coats
·Use a back and forth motion with the sanding block and paper (do not use circular movements) smooth out the repair and ensure that it is level with the paint film surface Try to limit sanding to the immediate area of the repair
·Use a mild polish to restore surface gloss after carefully rinsing away surface and finish by applying wax / sealant protection
Don’t be apprehensive about trying this if you have the proper tools, a professional body shop usually will charge $150-200

~Hope this helps ~

* justadumbarchitect so I question everything *
Experience unshared is knowledge wasted…/ Jon
Old 08-06-2004, 10:05 AM

E55
Thanks, tiffc888 and TOGWT. How wide are the pen nibs?