Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS
Paint Correction

I bought a CPO 2015 CLS400 in Jan 2019 with 33.6K miles. Car was well optioned with a lunar blue exterior, silk beige interior with AMG wheels and a beautiful wood steering wheel. The car’s performance has been flawless aside from 1 flat tire. The car was serviced in Jan 2020. I had an issue with road side assistance when I had the flat. Before the designated tower showed up, someone else came and said they were authorized to change the tire. They started to do that just as the authorized tower showed up. The unauthorized guy packed up but not before either intentionally or accidentally dropping the tire iron onto the hood and leaving a scratch, part of which appears to be below the clear coat on the hood and less visible scratches on the side near the tire. I recently switched insurance companies and had to have the car photographed at a body shop. While there,I asked about scratch repair and was told 2 panels would have to be repainted at a special Cash price of $400 each. I take my car to a hand wash only place that also has a body shop and they suggested paint correction for $600. I hesitate to have the body shop paint the car as such paint is usually never the same quality and will look worn over time. But is Paint correction a danger as is removes the clear coat? And will it correct the deep scratch on the hood? Although almost 6 years old, the car’’s exterior is in great shape aside from the scratches mentioned. There is a scratch on the roof which came with the otherwise flawless car. I guess paint correction would help hide that. Anybody have experience with paint correction or body shop painting? Any other suggestions for removing the scratches.

Last edited by jimbob60; 08-29-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
IF you can feel scratch and a layer is gone...
RE-SPRAY is required.

Also these cars have clear coat - and clear coats cannot really be blended without failing a few years later...

Correction is fancy word someone came up with for wet sand and polish... which you do after painting and have enough top coat to do so.
Meant to remove orange peel and other tiny imperfections... also meant for custom cars and custom paint jobs.... as adds much to overall PRICE...

Old 07-07-2021, 08:16 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
error wrong post

Last edited by jhpmbusa; 07-07-2021 at 08:17 AM. Reason: wrong post - went scrolled down too much