Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Fog swirls on inside of windshield....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 - W163
Fog swirls on inside of windshield....

Hey guys, this has been pissing me off and im curious if anyone knows how to get rid of it, when i drive with my windows down, some haze shows up on my windshield inside, and when light hits it, it shows the swirls and the light swirls, i hope you know what im talking about, but if you clean the inside of the windshield, you can see your strokes as the lights hits it. anyway i find this extremely annoying however i dont want to make it worse, how do i get rid of this?? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: Fog swirls on inside of windshield....

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Vinyl ‘Fog’:
Vinyl is made from Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) the vinyl's topcoat contains the plasticizers, the softening agents that keep it supple. Vinyl is a very UV-sensitive material that degrades when exposed to sunlight. Maintaining the integrity of its plasticizers and providing protection from UV radiation damage is the key to maintaining its as-new condition.

Heat will cause vinyl to ‘outgas’; this is the plasticizer evaporating (more prevalent on newer vehicles or a dash with freshly applied vinyl dressing) which manifests itself as a ‘fog’ on the vehicles glass surface.

Clean with an abrasive-free glass cleaner (Stoners Invisible Glass) and a lint-free Microfiber towel

Drying Pattern:
Use a different drying pattern for interior / exterior glass surfaces (i.e. horizontal for interior and vertical for exterior) utilizing this technique you can easily determine the location of any streaking.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 08-25-2004, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I agree with togwt, clean it with a glass MF towel with eagle one 20/20... this works very well at removing oily films. And then if you get that haze with the windows down, turn on the A/C and run the defroster.... usually gets rid of it. This is happening because of the lousy humid climate of the northeast.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I add use a "Dry" MF towel to dry. One to wash with and one to dry with. 20/20 is the best "so far" glass cleaner I have used.