Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Did I RUIN my Magno paint and is there a way to fix this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Did I RUIN my Magno paint and is there a way to fix this?

Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of a 2017 Selenite Magno Grey C43 AMG Coupe and I'm having problems with the paint.
I recently posted here, asking help about the magno paint maintenance, but didn't get any responses.

I've researched the magno paint maintenance a lot and read all about it, but as I don't have a place to wash it myself and going to a good detailer every few weeks would make me broke, I haven't found a good midway solution.

Anyways, I've used the self-service power washing stations, even recently, but at the beginning I didn't know I shouldn't use wax-based products and I used the "hot-wax" program in those places.. Anyways, I don't know if that had that much of a bad effect on the paint or was it here before I bought the car.

I brought the car to a detailer who was recommended and partnered by my local official MB dealership.

After he cleaned the car, he showed me that there were spots and drips all over the car on all the paint.
I have a bunch of images and a few videos visible here:
Drive folder - paint problems

It's difficult to see, but if you look at the places where white light is reflecting back, you can see many spots and drips and the top of the car, hood mostly, is full of it.

Is it possible to fix this somehow?
The detailer himself didn't know the answer.. his idea was to make a bit of a stronger solution of the product he uses to wash the limescale off.. but i don't know.. too strong solutions might make everything even worse maybe?
Old 12-06-2021, 10:21 AM

2021 GLS 450
Cascade Complete or Finish powdered dishwasher detergent, dissolved in VERY hot water (may need to use a stove to heat some of the water), will remove just about any cheap wax, bugs, and most minor to moderate water spots.

Lime-Away or CLR is a weak acid and will chemically remove just about any remaining tough water spots. If you do use this, of course use safety gear to protect yourself and rinse away the Lime Away acid promptly with lots of water.

After the above "chemical stripping," your car will have zero wax protection and thus will spot again easily. I recommend immediate follow-up with Meguiar's Ultimate car wash and ceramic hybrid wax. Stoners with water repellent on the glass.

From there on out, wash only by hand with only a non-spotting wash product, like Meguiar's Ultimate. Dry with microfiber towels. No automatic car washes with unknown detergent/wax products.

As you can tell, I'm more a fan of chemical means to remove bad wax and spots, rather than physical means. Modern car paint is soft and thin, and I am not a fan of any buffing, polishing, etc.

My strategy for nice looking daily driver paint finish:
1) Buy a new car that does not have any water spots or scratches.
2) Keep it that way. Do not allow any water spotting to occur. Consider the paint to be soft, and do not do anything that may scratch the paint.

EDIT: I'm not sure about what new wash or "wax" is best for the matte finish paint after stripping off the bad wax. I would think the Cascade and Lime Away advice is still good .... from there forward I'm less certain.

Last edited by Luck of Irish; 12-06-2021 at 10:37 AM. Reason: not sure about magno wax
Old 04-29-2022, 12:26 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 E63S Wagon, 2007 335i convertible (tuned to 400hp), 2011 Audi A4 Avant
DO NOT use any thing with a wax in it, including car wash soaps. You need to look carefully at soaps to make sure they don't contain any "gloss enhancers" or similar additives. And don't use ceramic products that are not designed for matte paint. They will ruin your matte finish. Gyeon makes a matte paint ceramic coating that I used on my Magno paint, and it's great. It didn't change the finish at all.
Old 04-29-2022, 01:03 PM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by E63Wagen
DO NOT use any thing with a wax in it, including car wash soaps. You need to look carefully at soaps to make sure they don't contain any "gloss enhancers" or similar additives. And don't use ceramic products that are not designed for matte paint. They will ruin your matte finish. Gyeon makes a matte paint ceramic coating that I used on my Magno paint, and it's great. It didn't change the finish at all.

yeah, well, i know that much already.

but my car has marks on it and even a professional detailer wasn’t able to get them off.

they do look like dried water marks or sth but nothing gets them off.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT
I also ran into many issues with MB Magno paints, and tried almost all product to address water spots, smudges, marks etc.

The best method is to use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove most contaminants. Just a couple drops onto microfiber towel, and gently wipe. Body shops will try paint thinner and I suggest that you run.

WARNING: If you rub, the paint will become shinny and you have to repaint that panel. No way to "Unshine."
Old 05-12-2022, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
As an Ex custom Bike Painter I Completely concur on NO BUFFING!!!!!! I had a customer buff his bike out and I had to repaint it.....