Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

My Meguiar's NXT Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230K SS
My Meguiar's NXT Experience

Thought I would share some of my waxing experiences. I have a month old '05 C230K Sedan. It's metallic diamond black.

Two weeks after I bought the car, I washed and waxed for the first time. Hand wash, hand dry, and then hand applied Meguiar's Gold Class carnauba wax. It was very tiring, but it looked very good when I was done, amazing actually. The problems I had with the carnauba wax were obviously the energy it took to apply and buff, and the white residue it left. The residue was a pain in the *ss when it got into the hood grille, and into the rubber weather stripping around the doors. But as I said, problems aside, I was very pleased with the look.

I decided that next time I would try a liquid wax that would be easier to apply and would not generate so much residue.

So, after another two weeks, I decided to wash again. This time I used Mr. Clean's AutoDry system, which made washing process much easier and faster. I recommend it. For the wax, I decided to try Meguiar's NXT. Indeed, it was much easier to apply as well as buff off than real carnauba wax. It also did not generate the dreaded white residue.

However, I'm looking at the car today, the day after I waxed it, and the NXT doesn't appear to be as rich, deep, or wet as the carnauba wax. I was a little disappointed. Plus, the NXT seems to have a greater tendency to streak, and the streaks take a bit of effort to get out. The car definitely looks shiny, but just doesn't seem as "lustrous" or sensuous as when I used the carnauba wax.

The one mitigating factor might be that today it is overcast where I live, so maybe that's affecting the optics. I'll look at the car again under full sunlight and update this post if it looks different.

But for now, I have to say I was disappointed by NXT. It's not bad, it's just not awesome, and not as good looking as carnauba. I definitely give it points for ease of use, but for me, I think I'm willing to put a little more work in to get a better looking wax job.

My plan for next time is to get some Zaino. Wash, clay, apply Zaino to the whole car. After that's done, I think what I'll do is top the Zaino with pure carnauba wax on the parts of the car I want to look especially good: the hood, fenders, and trunk instead of the whole car.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

First that Mr. clean crap leaves a residue so I would suggest you wash your car the next time with something that rinces clean. then apply the first of two thin coats of NXT second coat to be applied 24 hrs after 1st. Using a back and forth motion ,Do not rub in circles. You'll be amazed at the results .
Old 09-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by rdanz
First that Mr. clean crap leaves a residue so I would suggest you wash your car the next time with something that rinces clean. then apply the first of two thin coats of NXT second coat to be applied 24 hrs after 1st. Using a back and forth motion ,Do not rub in circles. You'll be amazed at the results .
Why would you want to clay a new car?
PS theres no such thing as pure carnauba wax.
I was a Zaino user before trying NXT.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One mans opinion / observations~

1. Why would you want to clay a new car?
Even new cars that have been setting on the lot for a few weeks can accumulate surface contamination. Don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free

Acid rain, road salt, tree sap and airborne contaminants are very detrimental to a vehicles paint film surface. Brake dust or rail dust are very small, almost microscopic particles of steel, iron or their alloys. These particles carry a negative charge while the vehicles they land on are carrying a positive charge. The vehicle surface becomes a magnet, attracting and bonding the ferrous metal particles to the vehicle surface.

2. PS theres no such thing as pure carnauba wax.
If you’re saying there is no such thing as a 100% Carnauba wax product for use on a vehicle finish, Natural Carnauba wax is very hard in its natural stae and requires a solvent and/or oils to soften it.

3. I was a Zaino user before trying NXT.
The only problem I see with NXT compared to Zanio is durability, Zanio wins hands down

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 09-21-2004, 11:44 PM

NXT has a certain "look" that is neither carnauba or sealant, from what I have heard from regular users of the product. It is somewhere in between the two. If you're not pleased with the look of NXT alone, you can always add a carnauba topper to give your car that extra depth it might be missing.