Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Washing my C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 '06
Washing my C55

I think it's time for a quick wash of my C55 and was wondering if anyone has tried that new "Mr. Clean" (I think that's what's called) system that guarantees a spotless wash with no water spots?

Any suggestions?

Nick
Old 09-27-2004, 01:05 AM

I picked mine up at home depot for less than ten bucks on sale. I don't think they are selling well, or maybe home depot is just having a hard time pushing them.

I have yet to use it as I want to keep it cherry for my new baby coming in october, but everyone seems to say it is great as long as you use their soap and follow the directions to a "T".

Hope this helps. I figured at the price it is, if it sucks it is still less than half of what a waterway or similar would charge to "pro" wash the car.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
a friend tried it and it is terrible. The soap they provide is so strong it stripped all wax for the car he spent 4 hrs cleaning the week before.

I would not use it. Sheet the water off with a smooth stream of water and use a leaf blower to blow the water off the car and wheels (very easy way to get all the water out of cracks). Then take a microfiber cloth and get the rest of the water from the surface. I use this on my cars (one is a Black SL) and they all look great with no scratches.

Rubbing hte paint can cause swirl makrs and I HATE those. Good luck
Old 09-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The trick with the Mr. Clean that makes it a spot free dry is that the water is "almost" distilled. The reason our cars get water spots is because regular water has hard minerals in it that leave those spots when the water droplets dry off the paint.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
I tried it on the ML.... the soap is too strong and did strip the Zymbol wax I had on there, it did dry with no spots though. Ive tried washing my C32 with my own soap and then just using the quick dry system to spray off hte water and well, it didnt leave many spots when dried. I think I will stick with the old fashion way though... Meguires NXT soap, my micro brush, teh absorber, numerous microfiber towels, the california water blade, and a regular garden hose!!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the stripping of the wax. That royally sucks. It's a labor of love just to get yourself to wax let alone to redo it because some "safe" product is overly harsh.

Anyway, it may indeed be worth it just for the demineralized water output. Like I said, I haven't tried it yet. It might be a quick pre-wax wash though, which could be a hidden plus. That could shave an hour or so off of the total time.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 183 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
use a leaf blower to blow the water off the car and wheels (very easy way to get all the water out of cracks). Then take a microfiber cloth and get the rest of the water from the surface. I use this on my cars (one is a Black SL) and they all look great with no scratches.
Be careful with leaf blowers as they can cause very fine grit to become air born and settle onto your car, when you then proceed to wipe off the remaing drops of water you can unknowingly scratch the paint.