Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Fixed my stained chrome window trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 11:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300
Fixed my stained chrome window trim

I recently purchased a 2019 GLC300 with only 24k on it. The chrome trim around the windows was badly stained but it didn't concern me because I detailed cars for 15 years in my early days, and figured it would polish off with some light compound. The light compound didn't do much to my surprise. After searching the forums I found that it was common and that some have had success getting it all replaced under warranty. I took the vehicle to my local Mercedes dealer and they kept it for a day to review the issue. They came back saying it won't be covered because it was stained due to an "outside influence", which seems to be a common bad excuse used by Mercedes.

The detailer in me started searching for chrome polishes that might work. I found a member who said he had success with a product called Flitz, which I bought on Amazon. I was excited to give it a try, but disappointed when it didn't fix the issue 100%. It definitely improved the chrome, but there were still some stains. I figured maybe I needed to get a little more agressive, so I found an old piece of green Scotch Bright pad in my basement. I put a little Flitz on the pad and started polishing an area that wasn't too noticable. To my surprise, it got rid of all the water stains and looked beautiful. I did every piece of chrome twice to insure the spots were 100% gone, and I can say with confidence, that the chrome is now 100% perfect. I don't know if I got lucky, and if this will last, but for now I'm super happy. Give it a try if you were denied replacement of the chrome.
The following 4 users liked this post by LenniePaz:
as.thompson (06-27-2022), drose224 (07-04-2022), ill41 (06-27-2022), KeithOnBoard (02-28-2024)
Old 07-03-2022, 02:35 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
06' Audi Quattro, 00'SL500
I've used cerium oxide for hard water spots on glass but it works on stainless trim but I only applied half the amount on my applicator. Go slow with that stuff at first. I used to polish office windows for a side business, time consuming