Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Nano paint and Mr. Clean Autodry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Nano paint and Mr. Clean Autodry

I have a 2004 C320, pewter exterior, charcoal interior. I believe it has the "nano paint" technology as when I look at the sticker in the driver's door jamb it has the paint code starting with a "C" (please correct me if I'm wrong). Just washed the car again today and noticed that there are a few chips on the hood so the nano technology is not chip proof. Also noticed that when I wash my wife's Jeep Liberty (khaki color) with Mr. Clean the product does exactly what it advertises, dries without spotting. The same product used on my C320 however does not get nearly the same effect. Even heavily using the filtered water setting, still have beading on the car in some areas. I end up just wiping these off with a soft cloth. But on my wife's car this step is unnecessary. Does anyone think it has something to do with nano paints?

Also, for those who have used Mr. Clean, it has a warning not to use other soaps in the chamber b/c it will clog. I'm thinking they just want us to buy their product. Anyone successfully use the soap chamber filled with anything else? I really like the Mr. Clean attachment to the hose and if I could put better soap in there, I will. (I also bought the car wash set from MB, but haven't used it yet, anyone with thoughts on using that?)

Thanks,
Old 10-12-2004, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One mans opinion / observations~

###C is indicative of a ceramic paint finish, which incidentally is chip resistant not chip proof.

BASF has developed a chip proof ceramic clear coat but it’s so hard that a polish has yet to be formulated to allow repairs/scratch removal. BASF and Menzerna polishes are still working on the original version Ceramic Clear 2003

Menzerna Intensive Polish or Final Polish II are specifically formulated for ceramic clear coat 2004

The only limited experience I’ve had is with a borrowed Mr Clean Autospray, we used it on four cars (all different makes) and it left a film either on the glass or the paint or both

I’ve been using a garden hose filter unit to avoid water spots (if interested I’ll post details)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Originally Posted by TOGWT
~

I’ve been using a garden hose filter unit to avoid water spots (if interested I’ll post details)

How expensive is the filter unit? How often does it need to be replaced? Is it effective?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One mans opinion / observations~

Q: How expensive is the filter unit?
A: Housing $34 (inc S&H) Filter cartridge $16 (+$4 S&H)
50 Lbs Sodium (softening salt) $5 (+S&H)
Q: How often does it need to be replaced?
A: That would depend upon chemical content of water being filtered
Q: Is it effective?
A: For my use, very effective

Water Filtration:
Utilizing standard filter cartridges (9.75-inch x 2.5-inch) contained in a clear polyethylene filter cartridge, which allows you to see when the cartridge requires replacement. Filter connections are standard ¾-inch hosepipe fittings; unit is complete with a filter-housing wrench to replace cartridges and a wall-mounting bracket
To provide spot-free vehicle washing and to remove hard water minerals, unit can be fitted with a sodium cartridge, PW-SOF, which uses standard water softening sodium (salt), with a life span of approx. 90-gallons (dependant upon water chemical content)

The sodium resin cartridge can be regenerated indefinitely using readily available water softening sodium (salt). Place the used cartridge in a container with the water softening sodium / water solution and soak for 12-hours or more. The salt will displace the calcium replacing it with sodium. With two filter cartridges you can use one while the other is in the regenerating solution. Filters available: Sodium (PW-SOF) standard softener resin removes hard water chemicals, Calcite cartridge. (PW-CAL) to neutralize the pH value and a one micron carbon block (KX-1) for Chorine removal

http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Last edited by TOGWT; 10-13-2004 at 06:42 AM.