Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Wine Spill in Trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 AMG GT
Wine Spill in Trunk

Greetings all,

I own a 2020 AMG GT Roadster. Unfortunately I had a bottle of wine break in my trunk on Saturday. The trunk liner absorbed the liquid so nothing else was spoiled but the liner now has a highly unpleasant smell of dried wine and I'm looking for ideas on how to get deep in the nap of the fabric to get the smell out. I think the part has been discontinued at this point so this may be my only option. Thanks in advance for ideas !
Old 08-15-2023, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 718 Likes on 535 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Try OXYCLEAN or woolite or any carpet cleaner or TIDE
or remove and wash with hose or mild pressure washer.

You are just gonns have to try some different products until either one works or the group of products works.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 316 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I have had good luck cleaning stains from carpeting with Mothers Carpet and Upholstery cleaner, which is just a spray on then wipe off with a clean towel. I have also used the carpet cleaners with the brushes on the caps.

If its bad have you tried eBay. I was looking to see what the trunk liner in that car looks like and came across a used black trunk liner for a2019 amg gt for $42.50.

Depending what the underside is made of you may even be able to remove it and hose it off. If its backed with plastic, not the thick carboard type backing.

This may not work but every spring and if my floor matts are really dirty ill fill the bath tub with warm water and put the matts in. let them soak a bit them agitate them all around. Hang to dry outside. they come out looking brand new. Really works to get all the dirt and road salt off. It does make a huge mess and have to clean the tub afterwards.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 705 Likes on 523 Posts
MB
A chlorine dioxide odor remover that many detailers use should do the trick, something similar to these:

STAR BRITE Auto Odor Eliminator, Fast Release Vapor System Eliminates Car Odors in 4-6 Hours (19970), Multicolor https://a.co/d/3dW5cg9

Detail King Car Odor Removal - Chlorine Dioxide Cup - Extreme Odor Eliminator For Car - Safe And Easy To Use (3 Oz (Pack of 1) - Plastic) https://a.co/d/6hzXHhy

It'll smell like a pool for a couple days but like any chlorine molecule, it will oxidize away.

Some people use ozone but if not used properly, it can oxidize a lot more than just the odors.

Last edited by wildta; 10-19-2023 at 12:46 PM.