Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Leather cleaners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2024 | 04:31 PM

From: Bucks County PA not far from the Delaware River North & East of Philly by an hour.
‘68 Pontiac convertible, ‘71 Corvette 4 spd, ‘20 Accord Touring, 06 Duramax crew-c
Leather cleaners

I need to find the best working leather cleaner. If it matters any it’s for the Porcelain white leather in the 2018 S class. I don’t want to hurt the leather but I do want it nearly as clean as it was new. I’ve tried som Meguires and it didn’t do anything.
The following users liked this post:
TexasS580 (Yesterday)
Old 10-17-2024 | 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
first test to see if coated or not.

on dry flat area wet fingers with water and then let some water droplets fall off onto leather.
If it beads up and does not soak in you have a coated leather - They coat it with some clear vinyl like substance to protect leather from staining.
Any aftermarket brand here just find one you like

If it soaks in you have fine grade expensive leather which requires high quality leather cleaner some high end leather cleaners:
Leatherique - 2 part process with 2 different components applied
Griots - Has a few choices
Sonax Proline of products has a pretty good one just hard to find
Heard of some detailers using Woolite too.
I have seen them use Saddle Soap too.

Get a good cleaner
Use leather cleaning brushes which are gentle but really help.

when done make sure you apply a high-quality conditioner too.
I like Zainos as it smells the most like leather but there are others.
Want a creamy one like suntan lotion and apply by hand, massaging into leather.
Let stand for while in hot car in sun with windows up.
Then after few hours buff off excess.
The following users liked this post:
TexasS580 (Yesterday)
Old 10-17-2024 | 11:55 AM

From: Bucks County PA not far from the Delaware River North & East of Philly by an hour.
‘68 Pontiac convertible, ‘71 Corvette 4 spd, ‘20 Accord Touring, 06 Duramax crew-c
Originally Posted by ygmn
first test to see if coated or not.

on dry flat area wet fingers with water and then let some water droplets fall off onto leather.
If it beads up and does not soak in you have a coated leather - They coat it with some clear vinyl like substance to protect leather from staining.
Any aftermarket brand here just find one you like

If it soaks in you have fine grade expensive leather which requires high quality leather cleaner some high end leather cleaners:
Leatherique - 2 part process with 2 different components applied
Griots - Has a few choices
Sonax Proline of products has a pretty good one just hard to find
Heard of some detailers using Woolite too.
I have seen them use Saddle Soap too.

Get a good cleaner
Use leather cleaning brushes which are gentle but really help.

when done make sure you apply a high-quality conditioner too.
I like Zainos as it smells the most like leather but there are others.
Want a creamy one like suntan lotion and apply by hand, massaging into leather.
Let stand for while in hot car in sun with windows up.
Then after few hours buff off excess.
Thank you for your time and knowledge! Sounds like great information. I was scheduled for a good detail shop but the MB dealer is holding up my car all week. What ever is done I want the best cleaning that can be done - I don’t care about cost.

The seats, especially the front seats look dirty to me. Initially I thought all the perforations made it look darker or maybe some time in the past the windows were left down and dirt blew in and the seats were wipped down , (i have a good imagination!)
if there was some kind of protection applied wouldn’t cleaning be easier?

Rich
Old 10-17-2024 | 06:21 PM
Veteran: Army

W214 E450
Originally Posted by MrMischief
Thank you for your time and knowledge! Sounds like great information. I was scheduled for a good detail shop but the MB dealer is holding up my car all week. What ever is done I want the best cleaning that can be done - I don’t care about cost.

The seats, especially the front seats look dirty to me. Initially I thought all the perforations made it look darker or maybe some time in the past the windows were left down and dirt blew in and the seats were wipped down , (i have a good imagination!)
if there was some kind of protection applied wouldn’t cleaning be easier?

Rich
That's a reasonable assumption. There are several coatings you can apply to the leather seats that will make it harder for stains to take hold and easier to clean.
Old 10-17-2024 | 07:03 PM

13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Plus one on Leatherique. It’s a process but the performance is unmatched. If you’d like a primer of how to do it, lmk. I’ve used for years and the only issues arise if the seat is re-dyed which isn’t a problem because it will need to be addressed properly.