Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Meguiar's products for Mercedes Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350
Meguiar's products for Mercedes Benz

I am new to this forum. I just bought a new 2004 C240 wagon for my wife to serve as transportation for her and our 6 year-old girl. Because we have never owned a Mercedes Benz before we need information on its care and maintenance. Quite frankly, the manuals and other literature seem more obtuse than informative. On another note, we saw that Mercedes Benz offers a cleaning kit that contains products made by Meguiars for Mercedes Benz cars. Does anybody know that the equivalent Meguiar's products are that comprise this set? Or are they specific formulations for Mercedes Benz that Meguiar's does not offer under any other label? The 10 page thread on cleaning leather was interesting. Does anybody know what kind of leather our wagon has?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Hi, and congratulations on your purchase! I believe that the products offered by MB are just relabeled, off the shelf Maguire products. As for the leather in your car: Unless you purchased the Full Leather options, your car will only have real leather on the seating surfaces (the perforated part), and leatherette (fake leather) everywhere else.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350
What do you recommend to clean the leather?

I want to keep the seats clean and the interior vinyl clean but not shiny.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by see240wag
I want to keep the seats clean and the interior vinyl clean but not shiny.
Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider using a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique's Prestine Clean, Groit's Leather Cleaner or Autoglym Leather Cleaner)

Notes:
1. With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
2. The harsh use of chemicals actually keeps dirt trapped in the fibres of the leather. If you abuse or neglect your leather, it won't survive
3. Do not use- Saddle soap (it's made to clean an entirely different type of leather), abrasive cleaners, furniture leather polish (they contain a wax), products that contain harsh solvent s or alcohol, as they will cause the stitching to fray and eventually break, petroleum distillate, bleach or ammonia based products.
4. Keeping leather clean is important, but conditioning is the key to preserving its useful life, flexibility, appearance and longevity

JonM
Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revstriker
Hi, and congratulations on your purchase! I believe that the products offered by MB are just relabeled, off the shelf Maguire products. As for the leather in your car: Unless you purchased the Full Leather options, your car will only have real leather on the seating surfaces (the perforated part), and leatherette (fake leather) everywhere else.

FYI, the formulas are infact different and made specifically for MBZ
Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
But how different, really? Probably only by a drop or two of some scent or coloring.

Either way, it is not important as most Meguiar's products seem to be very good.

What's REALLY important is that we've finally got another C-240 WAGON owner around here !!!!

Welcome Mr. See240Wag