Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Tried to put Zymol on top of Zaino got some wierd results, why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Arrow Tried to put Zymol on top of Zaino got some wierd results, why?

I washed my car today (Meguiars Car Wash, not Gold Class), the car is a 98 Black CLK 320. Anyways i wanted to put a quick coat of Zymol on once i dried the car. I have previously done a fairly extensive polishing job with various products (3M SMR, Meguiars #s 9 and 83, and Scratch X) Then Clayed with Zaino's bar and did several coats of Zaino Z-2 and Z-5 with Z-6 inbetween each. Anyways, when i put on the Zymol it just oiled up in a rainbow streaky looking film. It looked like washing a window when the cleaner has cleaned and is evaporating. Anyways, i had to rub fairly long and with some pressure to get the oily looking patches off. Any ideas why this happened? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
oh boy, first of all why did you clay after polishing. It sounds like to me you over polished your car (not really a bad thing but a waste of time) and also sounds like you didn't remove the oils and fillers left by the polish before applying zaino.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Hrmmm, learning process i guess.

Point taken on the clay. Im not sure what order i did the clay or polish in, now that you mention it i *THINK* i did it this way... Dawn wash, clay, polish...polish....polish...polish...Z-5 (several coats w/z6 inbetween), then Z2 (several coats with Z6 inbetween). As for not having removed the polish and fillers before applying the Zaino, i didnt see any thing about this in the writeups, but if you could let me know how to do it i would try it next time i Zaino (i dont think im going to polish next time tho). You have to understand tho that my paint was in BAD shape, swirled up really badly especially on the hood which i think im going to have to repaint. The polishing does sound excessive but if you saw the car before it might be a bit more understandable. It did take a long time tho...the better part of three solid days. The car looks a whole lot better now tho. Any advice you could give me on how to keep the oilyness away would be awesome. BTW, the pics you have on your sig look sweet
Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by King320
I washed my car today (Meguiars Car Wash, not Gold Class), the car is a 98 Black CLK 320. Anyways i wanted to put a quick coat of Zymol on once i dried the car. I have previously done a fairly extensive polishing job with various products (3M SMR, Meguiars #s 9 and 83, and Scratch X) Then Clayed with Zaino's bar and did several coats of Zaino Z-2 and Z-5 with Z-6 inbetween each. Anyways, when i put on the Zymol it just oiled up in a rainbow streaky looking film. It looked like washing a window when the cleaner has cleaned and is evaporating. Anyways, i had to rub fairly long and with some pressure to get the oily looking patches off. Any ideas why this happened? Thanks.
Carnauba wax (Zymol) will bond to a cross-linked polymer(Z2), conversely if a polymer (Z2) is applied on top of a Carnauba wax (Zymol) it will not bond due to its oil content

Note: This is true of all Carnauba waxes and polymers (I just inserted Zymol and Zanio Z2 as an illustration)

JonM

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-07-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
should i have washed between the polishes and the zaino? Also i noticed that my car developed these wierd oily streaks as i drove it, they looked like dirt but would not come off at a spray car wash (not the drive thru kind). They came off with a handwash, could this be the oils from the polish coming out?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 AM
JeT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by King320
should i have washed between the polishes and the zaino? Also i noticed that my car developed these wierd oily streaks as i drove it, they looked like dirt but would not come off at a spray car wash (not the drive thru kind). They came off with a handwash, could this be the oils from the polish coming out?
Most polishes contain oils and so if you attempt to put Zaino over it, it will not bond (as TOGWT has stated). That is why Zaino instructs you to wash with Dawn before applying Zaino as it will remove all the oils left on the car from polishing and waxing. Once You have sealed the paint with Zaino then you can apply Zymol.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
mmmmkay, got it, thanks