Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

About detailing my C-Class in the winter.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About detailing my C-Class in the winter.

Hi. I am living in a snowy place and it has stopped snowing recently. My C-Class has been sitting in my garage for 5 days after I drove it to downtown. I have heard that road salt and grime can harm a vehicle and make it to rust. I really concern about it and I plan to wash the entire car tomorrow if the temperate is above zero. I know it's kinda silly to clean the car and drive it onto the snow surfaces the next day. For those people who have experiences in maintaining a car in winter time, is it bad for leaving a car filled with salt for a long period of time. Should I wash it every time I finish driving it? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
your C class is probably in little danger of rusting unless your paint is already in bad shape. If you've kept it well maintained rust is probably not going to be an issue. Sometimes i handwash in the winter (have done it twice in the snow this year), but for the most part i just take it to a place with a high pressure spraying hose (not the automatic drive thru ones where you remain in the car, the ones where you put quarters in a machine and use the sprayer yourself). I'm not 100% sure that this is good for the car, but i havent seen any negative consequences. It would be great for getting off salt even tho you really need to do a handwash with MF mitts or towels to get stubborn dirt or films off.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
My sister has lived in Detroit and now she lives in Chicago. There's a reason car washes cost $2 to $3 up there in the northern part of the country.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:35 PM

Washing after every time you drive it seems a bit excessive. Not to mention, your neighbors might think you're OCD. Don't worry, mine already think I am since I wash every weekend!

My best advice is wait to wash until the weather permits. This usually means when the weather is at least above freezing, that way you won't have to deal with water freezing on your vehicle or your driveway becoming a skating rink. Even if you know that the weather might be bad the next day, at least your car will not have any accumulated grunge on it.

If you can do this, you'll know that your vehicle will be able to be salt and dirt free from winter's worst.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Next time you wash it...also try to wax it...it'll keep the paint protected!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Almost a Member!

What about if the weather is overcast? Not that now would be a good time here with all this freezing fog (2 weeks now).

Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Do it in a garage?