Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

clear coated leather in a C32??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
clear coated leather in a C32??

I've read through the leatherique how to thread, and Im still in the grey about whether or not this can be used for my seats in the C32. Someone said that seats with holes in them are clear coated. My C32 has perforations on the butt and back portion, so does this mean its clear coated?

Anxious to see how this stuff works. My leather is in really good shape, and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by psk145; 02-08-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Covered Leather-Identifying characteristics- uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change colour.
Covered leather like clear coated paint requires oils to stop it from drying out, the myth that oils (from polish or leather cleaners) is just that a myth. If you do not provide the paint/leather with oils it will dry out and crack

Perforated Leather:
Should be routinely cleaned using a pH-balanced, non-alkaline cleaner (6:1 Distilled water / WooliteŽ solution) to loosen and lift grease and grime without drying the leather or affecting the hide's natural pH.
In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils

Apply to a warm surface to help the oils penetrate (warm with the suns heat or a hairdryer) allow sufficient time (preferably overnight) for the oils to permeate the leather. Use a product that will dry without leaving a residue in the perforations of the leather or a greasy surface.
Recommended products: Groit's Leather Care or Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil

JonM
Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by psk145
I've read through the leatherique how to thread, and Im still in the grey about whether or not this can be used for my seats in the C32. Someone said that seats with holes in them are clear coated. My C32 has perforations on the butt and back portion, so does this mean its clear coated?

Anxious to see how this stuff works. My leather is in really good shape, and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance
Don't let any leather cond or cleaner soak into perforated seats as the backing should not get wet...read your owners manual for more info.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Don't let any leather cond or cleaner soak into perforated seats as the backing should not get wet...read your owners manual for more info.

I'm assuming this is a warning not to use too much product, or is there something about the backing material used? If you don't use a leather conditioner it will dry out and crack.

Thanks for the help

JonM