Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Need assistance "Stupid Super Glue" Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
Need assistance "Stupid Super Glue" Please help

Alright, so I come home and decide to wash my car since it has been raining this past week and I didn't have the chance to. So after wash the car I see the mb emblem on the trunk lid somewhat loose. So my ghetto *** decides to super glue it. But this where the problem lies, I accidentally got excess superglue on the trunk. Is there a way I can take it out? Please help
Old 02-25-2005, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
do a search for debadging cars and youll see the different products people used to get the residue off. off the top of my head i think people have used goo b gone and wd40 but just double check. i think i remember seeing somewhere that one of the products (could have been one of those) could possibly damage the paint
Old 02-26-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
I would suggest you use a solvent to 'loosen' the adhesive bond and then apply / reapply Groit's Adhesive Remover.
JonM

FWIW I would not use WD40 on a vehicle paint
Old 02-26-2005, 03:38 PM

C
Originally Posted by TOGWT
I would suggest you use a solvent to 'loosen' the adhesive bond and then apply / reapply Groit's Adhesive Remover.
JonM

FWIW I would not use WD40 on a vehicle paint

Thanks
Old 02-28-2005, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
WD40 hasnt hurt ANY of my cars' paints over many years. Its what I use whenever I remove a Village parking permit/vinyl sticker from the bumper cover, followed with a rinse & wipe of Windex. I'd be pretty sure that the 2 will remove wax from the area though.

Acetone will thin & break the bond & remove "superglue". Test it on an inconspicuous area tucked away in a mostly unused door jamb or far inside the trunk lid/hood (pad). If you decide all remains colorfast, dab away at the glue blob turning the paper towel often & rewetting and don't press & rub. Let the chemistry do the work.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:56 PM

C
Thanks all I tried everything but nothing seems to work, Im probably just going to wait until I get the whole car painted when I get a kit. I just have to deal with the ugly look of glue. Thanks again though for those who tried to help.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Man, all it takes is a knife, and a trashcan . You can get some super glue loosener at your hardware store, it works like a charm, just make sure before hand it won't damage the paint!