Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Covers: Do they have any real purpose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Engine Covers: Do they have any real purpose?

My top engine covers are off for a fuel filter change.

Does anyone know if (other than aesthetcs or sound-deadening) the engine covers actually need to be in place?

Seems like if you have a fuel leak, etc, you can notice it in the minor stage without the engine covers. With the cover, you might find out when the fuel leak becomes serious, and you need the fire department and insurance people.

Drove around today sans covers. Lots more "turbo talk" noticeable with open windows at low speeds. Just a very slight more clatter at idle, and just a tad bit more gutteral sound under moderate throttle. That's it. I actually appreciate hearing the turbo. The ricers take note riding next to you and try to choose you (at their own demise) at the next light
Old 12-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E300DT Saloon
They're designed to scare people away from doing any work themselves, and they also make the engine compartment prettier for photographs in magazines.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:39 PM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Fuel Filter change?

Why on an 05? Leak or high mileage?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:28 PM

Fuel Filter

I'm at 14K miles.

Did not actually change it yet, just pulled the cover to verify that I had the correct part. Dealer listed 3 distinct part # possibilities for the '05.

Checked my maintenance book, and it actually calls for a 26,000 mile interval on the fuel filter, so I guess I'll let it ride for a while longer. There are special clamps on the filter that require a crimping tool. I asked the dealer about the tool/clamps, they said "just use screw clamps, that's what we do here."

The special clamps look very nice, but I suppose since the fuel is under suction (not pressure) regular clamps should suffice.

Last edited by cdiken; 12-18-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:32 PM

2005 E230 CDI
correct part #

Did they get the fuel filter part # correct? It seems like there should only be one # for your specific car. Did you give them the VIN or just tell them it was a '05?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 AM

Yes they had the VIN

Same dealer I bought the car from.

Also had trouble with paint code for touchup paint, based on my VIN the dealer's computer says my car is Iridium Silver (a non-US color, I think).

Yes, they did get the correct filter. It was an order item, so even if your dealer will change yours, may not hurt to call ahead and schedule the part, to avoid multiple trips to the dealer or loss of use of the car.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Post a pic of what it looks like w/o the cover? I'm curious.. I don't have the correct wrench to remove mine, or else I'd try it.

I wonder if it's cools any better?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:09 PM

Covers are back on...

Got enough stuff laying around my shop so they went back on if only for that reason.

The "wrench" is just a T30 Torx. In my case it's from my Craftsman screwdriver set. Looks just like a screwdriver but is a torx instead.

Very common torx size, should be found in most bit sets that have torx.

ALSO A MAGNET IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I loosen all 9 screws, then use a magnet to pluck them out. A couple are more recessed than others, and are aggravating and slow to remove without a magnet or magnetic driver.

Re cooling, didn't notice any change while driving. I did watch the gauge at first.

I would expect in the winter the engine would lose its heat quicker when parked, so if you go out to eat on a cold night, the car would not put out as much heat immediately when you return.

Last edited by cdiken; 12-29-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by cdiken
Got enough stuff laying around my shop so they went back on if only for that reason.

The "wrench" is just a T30 Torx. In my case it's from my Craftsman screwdriver set. Looks just like a screwdriver but is a torx instead.

Very common torx size, should be found in most bit sets that have torx.

ALSO A MAGNET IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I loosen all 9 screws, then use a magnet to pluck them out. A couple are more recessed than others, and are aggravating and slow to remove without a magnet or magnetic driver.

Re cooling, didn't notice any change while driving. I did watch the gauge at first.

I would expect in the winter the engine would lose its heat quicker when parked, so if you go out to eat on a cold night, the car would not put out as much heat immediately when you return.
Cool, thanks.. but any chance you can snap a pic of it with the cover off when you get a chance?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
In the case of the diesels, the engine cover mainly serves the job of sound supression. Just look at how much insulation is under that thing! And, like you said, it was possible to notice an increase in noise w/o it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:41 PM

2001 E430 Designo Edition, 2002 C230K Sport Coupe & 2006 C230 SS
Engine cover

As a long term diesel owner I would leave it on because it looks much better and as you mentioned it will be somewhat quiter. I never had to luxury of a cover... mine was always up front with it's grease and grime. Yours may be clean now but it won't always be !!! Diesels are known for their droaning sound at highway speeds which can lull one's senses in the late night hours. I think the extra sound deading effects of the cover might help in this regard. Oh yes, don't worry about it hiding leaks... yoiur nose and the spot on the floor will notify you of leaks. After a while you will by habit glance at the garage floor and analize the puddles !!! You will get quite good at it after a while...