Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want this car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:09 AM
IllCDI

Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
You can't explain to a non-car person, the attachment to an automobile. I had given my original 83 240d to my son for 5 years and it had gotten really beaten up on the way to the airport each day in NYC traffic. When I had the chance to get it back, I took it and my thought was the following:" This car has been so good to me, it deserves life!". I then put a new MB engine in it, had new fenders, rocker panels, quarter panels and floor pans put it. I also had interior work done, capped off with a new Midnight Blue paint job, with clear coat. I still greatly enjoy getting into it, hearing that reliable 4 cylinder get going, and shifting that smooth 4 speed stick.

I know exactly the way you feel. I did the same thing after I got my w123 back from my daughter and then son. I had all the body work done (new fenders, hood etc), and had it for the most part repainted. I put a new factory motor with a 4 year/50k mile warranty as well. It was in such bad shape that i had to drive it home from my sons college with no alternator and a dead battery. I am still looking to refinish the wood.

The worst part was, after the mechanic had installed the new motor, he left the key in the sun visor, and the car was stolen from inside his shop. The way I felt can only be compared to losing a family member. I thought for sure my car would probably be stripped and destroyed, and it would never be found in one piece again. The car was located a couple weeks later being loaded onto a trailer.

To me the W123 was the first luxury car I had ever owned and bought brand new. Buying a Mercedes in the early 80's gave one a sense of accomplishment, that you had finally made it. Its a very special car

----

I find the seats quite comfortable, especially after I had the seat pad replaced, and reupholstered. I also like the manual style seat controls, they allow you to get a comfortable seating position much quicker than the electric style seat controls.

Last edited by IllCDI; 02-09-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:37 PM
rjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by CE750
This is one of my dilimas.. I know this, and can't justify the $62K I've sunk into the CDI and then park it!

Look at it this way Sam....your MB is now worth about HALF what you paid for it .
Old 04-04-2006, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by rjm
Look at it this way Sam....your MB is now worth about HALF what you paid for it .
What are you kidding me? I got an offer by an old HS friend back in the SF Bay Area for $53K just last month.. ... and the car bluebooks all day long in the very high 40's for trade in..

But it's nice to see you still breathing Robert.. We need some fresh trolling to stir up the W211 forums
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
rjm

Multiple
...But it's nice to see you still breathing Robert.. We need some fresh trolling to stir up the W211 forums
Who is Robert???

BTW, most dealers around here will laugh at you when you quote the "Blue Book Trade-in Value" of your MB.

Last edited by rjm; 04-04-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by Collin380
CE750,
I will sell you mines for less and it looks better IMO.
...if it was that exact thing but only a Wagon, I'd jump on your offer! Let me ask though, do your rear seats fold down?
edit: never mind, I got the milage from your sig
re-edit: what milage do you get and how 'hard' do you accelerate from a stop usually? I assume 'easily', but by that I imply, real REAL easily in the 'hold back traffic' sense or along with everyone else easily?

Last edited by c55m8o; 04-07-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rjm
Who is Robert???

BTW, most dealers around here will laugh at you when you quote the "Blue Book Trade-in Value" of your MB.
got you confused with someone else. the r in rjm did it... ok Jim..

I sold cars for 3 years while in school and blue book trade in value was then, and is still today the gold standard for trade in value.. the CDI, is one of the higest resale cars sold today.. look it up.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:27 PM
rjm

Multiple
got you confused with someone else. the r in rjm did it... ok Jim..

I sold cars for 3 years while in school and blue book trade in value was then, and is still today the gold standard for trade in value.. the CDI, is one of the higest resale cars sold today.. look it up.

Who is "Jim?"

If you sold cars for 3 years, you should know what a JOKE the Blue Book is when trading in a Mercedes.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rjm
Who is "Jim?"

If you sold cars for 3 years, you should know what a JOKE the Blue Book is when trading in a Mercedes.

you caught me, I lied, I never sold cars, and I know nothing about KBB, its reputation in the industry, much less CDI values.