Sponsored by:

here we go again....diesel leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
here we go again....diesel leak

I'm experiencing the infamous diesel leak that has plagued my car for the past 8 months. Last time they clamped three small leaks. It seems as though it is back again. The garage smells horrible and I'm truly concerned about the future of my CDI. I absolutely love the car but I don't know if I can "invest" anymore time with car and my SA. I've called the SA and will let you know what transpires in the next few days.
Jay

BTW, this is the fourth time I've taken it in for the same recurring issue.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
Without seeing the car its tough, but I've had a few 320 CDI's come in leaking fuel. They always are leaking from the rubber hose coming off of the fuel filter, not at the connection at the fuel filter but on the metal line on the other side. I have tried to reseal that connection with no success. I replaced the hose and check for leaks, and never have had one leak then. The only problem is that hose is a special order part from germany, so it can take up to 3 weeks to get the hose, but it is cheap if it is something you would have to pay for. Dont worry about the car though, you have a great car and this is such a small problem. Diesel fuel is safe anyway, you dont have the fire hazard you could have if it was a gasoline engine. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Thanks! It's reassuring that it may not be such a big deal after all. I absolutley can not think of another MB or car that I want to to drive.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:41 PM
IllCDI

I feel your pain, I have had simliar problems with my CDI, I love the car, but I would be scared to see what it would cost after the Warranty period is up. I now take my CDI to an indy, who does exceptional work and is able to work with me and fix all the fuel leaks. He even offers a 1 year warranty on his work. I trust him more than the MB TECHs, as I know he does quality work and won't jerk me around. I posted a thread on here earlier about what I went through when I took my car in for a fuel leak. Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I had the replacement hose done as MBTech explained and have not had any issues since.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by MBTECH2003
Without seeing the car its tough, but I've had a few 320 CDI's come in leaking fuel. They always are leaking from the rubber hose coming off of the fuel filter, not at the connection at the fuel filter but on the metal line on the other side. I have tried to reseal that connection with no success. I replaced the hose and check for leaks, and never have had one leak then. The only problem is that hose is a special order part from germany, so it can take up to 3 weeks to get the hose, but it is cheap if it is something you would have to pay for. Dont worry about the car though, you have a great car and this is such a small problem. Diesel fuel is safe anyway, you dont have the fire hazard you could have if it was a gasoline engine. Good luck.
MBTech2003, You hit it right on the head. I took my 2005 CDI to the dealer twice last week. First time they said they found a loose hose clamp at the fuel filter. (I see that there is now a non-crimped clamp there.) Then when I got it home, I smelled diesel, so I popped the hood and saw a diesel drop hit the belly pan. So I took it back. They cleaned it and said they couldn't find a leak. I gave them the benefit of doubt that what I saw was from the previous leak. Well, I got it home again and saw a drop at about 1 drop every 2 seconds, and traced it back to where you said. Bravo!! Now I hope you are wrong about having to get the hose out of Germany. I took a picture, but can't figure out how to attach. The "insert image" prompts a URL rather than letting me browse my hard drive.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
part number please

Originally Posted by MBTECH2003
Please post the part number so we can all check and order as necessary.