Sponsored by:

e320cdi w/ sudden power loss - hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E350 Sport. blk/blk Premium 1, Vcs
Question e320cdi w/ sudden power loss - hesitation

Can anyone shed any light on this situation? I own an 05 E320 CDI with about 40,000 miles and up to date service. The car has been running fine but has just started something new. During driving the car will have sudden power loss with no kick down at all. You can drive with your foot to the floor with limited pickup and almost something like a pinging noise. In moving the gear selector to neutral you can also NOT rev the engine. It's like the car is starved for fuel? If you pull over and shut it down and then restart all is fine and acceleration is fully restored. There are no error codes on the computer or indications that there is an issue. My local dealer in Florida is attempting to diagnose this issue now but I was curious if anyone else is having this frustrating issue?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by dalbr68
Can anyone shed any light on this situation? I own an 05 E320 CDI with about 40,000 miles and up to date service. The car has been running fine but has just started something new. During driving the car will have sudden power loss with no kick down at all. You can drive with your foot to the floor with limited pickup and almost something like a pinging noise. In moving the gear selector to neutral you can also NOT rev the engine. It's like the car is starved for fuel? If you pull over and shut it down and then restart all is fine and acceleration is fully restored. There are no error codes on the computer or indications that there is an issue. My local dealer in Florida is attempting to diagnose this issue now but I was curious if anyone else is having this frustrating issue?
egr valve
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
The basics first....

with no codes, I would verify first that the fuel filter has been changed. 26,000 miles is the factory recommended interval.

If you're not sure or have no record, just change it. The factory filter has special clamps and if it were changed its likely it would just have regular screw clamps.

I'm a lifelong diesel nut; what you described is the classic behavior of diesel with a clogged fuel filter. The CDI car has an electric lift pump, so by shutting it off and re-starting, you allow the filter to re-fill and thus your hesitation is temporarily cured.

Hopefully that's all it is, but lord knows with all the electronics on the CDI.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Cold Weather?

If you are operating below about 10 degrees F, and your fuel is not winterized, you could have a similar condition. Also, if your fuel has water or biological contamination, it would react the same way. Start with the fuel filter.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:05 PM
IllCDI

Originally Posted by dalbr68
It could be a loose vacuum hose on your boost control module. The lack of power you feel is from the turbo boost being cut.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Mercedes E350 Sport. blk/blk Premium 1, Vcs
The winning answer was the EGR valve!

The Egr valve was faulty on my vehicle but also some computer software updates were required with the new EGR valve as quoted by the Service advisor. My car feels like a jet again and is running fine as of now. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
It's nice to know there are people out there you can rely on besides the dealer service people. (They also don't have all of the answers and sometimes don't believe what your describing).

p.s. This issue also resolved the slight surging the car had experienced intermittently for almost 1 year and was originally blamed on bad fuel!