Sponsored by:

CDI, Improving performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 e63s, 12 FF
CDI, Improving performance

I am driving a new 06 E320 CDI now, and would like to improve the performance a bit.

The car has a great bit of torque, obviously, but it doesnt really show it right off the line. The car has no grunt for a second or two. I imagine an aftermarket tuner has fiddled with the boost and/or injection timing to improve this. Does anyone know of a "module" type add on? I would rather not hose up my warranty and perform any direct-to-the ECM modifications.

The car also feels very "heavy" driving down the road and really doesn't handle in a manner I think it should (because my old BMW 740il does very well and is certainly a bit heavier). I'd like to improve the handling without destroying the ride. Has anyone used a set of AMG 211 wheels and more performance oriented tires on this car? I believe they only come in 18" varieties from the Tire Rack.

On the plus side I'm seeing 28-32mpg driving fairly spirited with a combination of backroad and interstate driving so far, which is quite impressive.

Any tips/advice are appreciated.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:33 PM

Harley-Davidson
I assume you have the transmission program mode set to S (sport) and not to C (comfort). Sorry, but I had to ask.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:01 PM

09 e63s, 12 FF
Originally Posted by cyclerider
I assume you have the transmission program mode set to S (sport) and not to C (comfort). Sorry, but I had to ask.
Yes, of course.

The car starts out in first gear.

The initial takeoff is weak, 1-2 seconds into it the car lunges forwards and barks the tires. I suspect thats when the turbo starts spinning up.

It has great power considering the economy, and size of the car. I would like to improve it a bit though - just looking for simple suggestions there, nothing that would be hard to remove/require permanent modifications - ie: thereby rendering the cars warranty null.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:23 AM

ML320CDi
Brabus chip, extraordinary performance!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Harley-Davidson
Simplest suggestion of all, and it's free. Left foot on brake, right foot heavy on accelerator, light turns green, left foot off of brake, car launches hard and you still have your warranty intact. With the money you saved on speed tuning parts you can afford new rear tires, which you will need to replace frequently.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:56 PM

That has more to do with the programming of the electronic linkage. It takes a second before the power kicks in after the processor realizes the intense degree of throttle input. Yes, an adjustment in the ECM will fix it, improving response.

Its akin to a "Are you sure?..Ok! Let's go."
Old 05-29-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M5 Jahre Edition S, KTM 1290R Super Duke ,C63 AMG 2011[Gone],A45 AMG 2013, MV Agusta 750 [2000]
Talking

You need a performance chip , there are plenty of fitters out there ,Brabus is okay but I preffered to use DMS as it was about £1200 cheaper @ £650.00 unless of course you are minted . My CLS now has 274BHP from 224 standard -they have adverts in most british car mags "DMS automotive "
Cheers
Eck