Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone confirm GL320CDI in USA this calendar year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
GL is great vehicle but the 320CDI engine is underpowered in that particular application. Get the V8 420CDI as 300bhp and 500lb/ft is what's needed for such a solid SUV, especially when its loaded up with people.
Not worried about winning any off-the-line races, and i've read the passing power is fine. I'd rather not give up the 3-4mpg's to have a V-8, much less pay over and above the $55k MSRP. I am going to load up on options, and don't want to shell out more for an engine (not that the 420 will be here anytime this calendar or model year anyway).

My main purpose in getting this vehicle is it's a Tahoe-size replacement that i can actually feel good about driving-i'm not a tree-hugging green environmentalist, and i could afford the 450 now, but just feel the need to be more conservative with slurping down oil since there's a choice.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E320 Bluetec
Yeah . . . the 320 CDI engine pushes the E car around like it's bored so while it might be a little shy of AMG performance, it should be fine. It gets to actually do some of the work it's cabable of! Also, there are different ways to tune/detune the engines so don't be afraid of the lower displacement. For instance, the "320" in my Acura TL S-Type is tuned up from the non S-Type -and they use the same engine in their $80000 sports car (can't remember the model right now) but that one is a LOT more modded!

My main purpose in getting this vehicle is it's a Tahoe-size replacement
You may want to look again at the much cheaper ML320CDI. The GL is simply the ML with a third row. There is little risk of me buying the GL because of this. I'm really waiting for the ML because I don't really have to have a 3rd row. If the GL was wider and roomier inside, I woudn't even consider the ML.

But hey . . . since I still haven't bought ANY of them yet, anything could happen! I might just end up with an E320 after all of this!

Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by carpersn
Not worried about winning any off-the-line races, and i've read the passing power is fine. I'd rather not give up the 3-4mpg's to have a V-8...
I'm not so sure...the CDI in the 4,000lb E-class is great...good mileage and good performance. With another 2,000lbs of mass and AWD friction losses, I imagine you will see poor performance AND poor economy with the 6-cylinder in the GL.

I bought a V6 Touareg in an effort to have better fuel economy, but because it was so underpowered, I ended up pushing the engine harder and returned worse fuel economy than a friend with a V8. The powerplant needs to be matched to the vehicle to maintain efficiency...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jjay911
I will find the documtation and take a pic and upload it so you can read it that way the info isnt coming from me reguarding the Miles Per Gallon. JJ

It was not 59 mpg, it was actually 49.9 mpg. If it were 59 mpg, they'd have quite a bit more fuel left in the tank.

http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/SD7...-0-0-0,00.html

That said, very impressive.

Last edited by DslBnz; 10-16-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:10 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by DslBnz
That press release gives two figures: 4.75 liters per 100 kilometers and 49.9 miles per US gallon. When I convert 4.75 liters per 100 kilometers to US figures I calculate 49.52 miles per US gallons. And in British units it comes out as 59.47 miles per British gallon. Very impressive indeed!

PS. Here is the conversion utility I used:
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/convert.html

Last edited by Wolfgang; 10-16-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Frugal1
Yeah . . . the 320 CDI engine pushes the E car around like it's bored so while it might be a little shy of AMG performance, it should be fine. It gets to actually do some of the work it's cabable of! Also, there are different ways to tune/detune the engines so don't be afraid of the lower displacement. For instance, the "320" in my Acura TL S-Type is tuned up from the non S-Type -and they use the same engine in their $80000 sports car (can't remember the model right now) but that one is a LOT more modded!
The car you're talking about is the Acura NSX which has been around since 1991. The engine in your TL has nothing in common but the same basic design (V6/SOHC) with the NSX engine. The NSX engine is an antique at this point and the engines in today's Acuras like the RL and new MDX are way more modern. Acura's newer V6s also outpower it too.

M
Old 10-20-2006, 01:20 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
The car you're talking about is the Acura NSX which has been around since 1991. The engine in your TL has nothing in common but the same basic design (V6/SOHC) with the NSX engine. The NSX engine is an antique at this point and the engines in today's Acuras like the RL and new MDX are way more modern. Acura's newer V6s also outpower it too.
Uhhhh . . . what is your point? Are you trying to refute what I said or help me make my point? If it's refute, then you may have missed MY point. MY point is that you can take the same displacement engine and do massively different things with it for massively different results. My point was that they are BOTH the same SIZED engine.

In the Diesel pickup world (where I have more experience) they detune the engines to protect the rest of the drive train and the truck. Again, it's quite possible the 320CDI we know and love has been hobbled and could be quite capable of pushing around an ML320 with a 3rd row seat (which is what the GL is, really). However, that being said, the fact that there's talk about a larger Diesel for the GL does say something about getting premium performance . . . they say that "there is no replacement for displacement."

So I don't know . . . did they detune the 320CDI? If they didn't then yes, a GL 320 CDI might be a dissapointment (much like the 5 cylinder engine they put in the Hummer H3) - OR - it just might end up like the difference between today's gas ML350 and ML500.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Uhhhh . . . what is your point? Are you trying to refute what I said or help me make my point? If it's refute, then you may have missed MY point. MY point is that you can take the same displacement engine and do massively different things with it for massively different results. My point was that they are BOTH the same SIZED engine.

In the Diesel pickup world (where I have more experience) they detune the engines to protect the rest of the drive train and the truck. Again, it's quite possible the 320CDI we know and love has been hobbled and could be quite capable of pushing around an ML320 with a 3rd row seat (which is what the GL is, really). However, that being said, the fact that there's talk about a larger Diesel for the GL does say something about getting premium performance . . . they say that "there is no replacement for displacement."

So I don't know . . . did they detune the 320CDI? If they didn't then yes, a GL 320 CDI might be a dissapointment (much like the 5 cylinder engine they put in the Hummer H3) - OR - it just might end up like the difference between today's gas ML350 and ML500.
The point was that the car you're talking about is the NSX. Did anything I wrote sound like I was trying to refute anything you said about engine size or displacement? What you're speaking of is called progress, which was my point. Anyone and everyone builds engines differently today, same size and all than they did when the NSX's engine was first developed, over 15 years ago.

M
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 AM

08 E320 Bluetec
??????? I wasn't comparing a current TL engine to a 15 year old engine, not that it would matter, the NSX could shred my car to bits when it comes to performance, then and now. When introduced in 1991 it had similar horsepower but now (and since 1997) it's got 290. Old or new, the TL couldn't catch it with a head start. It's a race car that's comparable to a Ferrari. I guess that's why you're confused.

Last edited by Frugal1; 10-23-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only reason a TL couldn't catch a NSX is due to the NSX's weight, not the engine. Today's regular Acuras have nearly the same power and some even more, like the RDX. I'm not confused about anything. You were making a point about how different things can be done with the same size/displacement, and I'm saying that in nearly 16 years since that 3L, then later 3.2L V6 came out in the NSX, the engineering used today is more advanced, hence me calling it progress. If you were going to take two engines of the same size and say look at the differences, the two engines should be from the same era, IMO.

M
Old 10-23-2006, 01:54 AM

08 E320 Bluetec
The only reason a TL couldn't catch a NSX is due to the NSX's weight, not the engine. Today's regular Acuras have nearly the same power and some even more, like the RDX.

M
You're unbeliveable. Why are you arguing with me but saying you're not rufuting my point? The sad thing is it sounds like we're on the same page with all of this anyway.

The 2004 through 2006 TL (no S-type available) has 258 horsepower. Those are "today's regular Acuras" as you put it so the NSX's 290 trumps the 258 of the TL - so you are wrong.

Now if you're talking about the brand new 2007 return of the S-type, then yes, the HP is up to 289, putting it back to the hp of the NSX.

Enough of this! I was just trying to make a point about the same sized engine being capable of vastly different amounts of output and I stand by that.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're unbeliveable. Why are you arguing with me but saying you're not rufuting my point? The sad thing is it sounds like we're on the same page with all of this anyway.

The 2004 through 2006 TL (no S-type available) has 258 horsepower. Those are "today's regular Acuras" as you put it so the NSX's 290 trumps the 258 of the TL - so you are wrong.

Now if you're talking about the brand new 2007 return of the S-type, then yes, the HP is up to 289, putting it back to the hp of the NSX.

Enough of this! I was just trying to make a point about the same sized engine being capable of vastly different amounts of output and I stand by that.

The sad part is that you got all bent out of shape to begin with. Secondly I said that certain Acuras like the new MDX match or come close to the hp of the NSX, didn't say that each and every one of them did or that they beat the NSX. Go back and read what I said. "Today's" Acura include the 2007 MDX also as it does the 07 TL-S. The 04-06 Acuras are no longer current, they've been supplanted. You're right about engines of the same size making vastly different amounts of power and if you read back over what I said I didn't refute that. What I said was that your example was flawed because of the nearly 16+ years that have passed since the engine you mentioned was introduced. Your example would have been better realized by taking two engines of the same decade at least and drawing the same comparision. Never disagreed with you that engines of the same size can make vastly different hp numbers. I see your point and have acknowledged it, but you never saw mine hence the "above all else" attitude about "standing by what you you said" though it was never refuted to begin with. That is the unbelievable part.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 10-23-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question At What Speeds?

Did that article say at what speeds they were driving?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:54 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
Well I test drove an ML320 CDI the other day. It was powerful but not "exciting" powerful. MB had better have some tricks up their sleeves to get more power out of that engine or I can see the GL320 CDI being a slug.

Carpersn, my salesman said it was on the books but didn't elaborate. I'll ask him next time I talk with him.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
[QUOTE=Carpersn, my salesman said it was on the books but didn't elaborate. I'll ask him next time I talk with him.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks...i placed my order first of last week. My dealer was allocated one for the first round of deliveries, and was told via Netstar it would be Dec.06/Jan.07 introduction. I'm certainly ready. My dad got his ML320CDI last week.