Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 80 300TD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a 80 300TD

I'm looking at a 1980 300TD with 78,000 miles on it, one owner. Since I've never owned a MB or a diesel I was hoping to get some advice.
First, the car I'm looking at has some rust on the bottom of the quarter panels, around the jack points and around a couple of wheel wells. For this area (Central New York) that's not a lot of rust but are there other critical areas I should be looking at?
Second, how well do these drive in snow? I would put snow tires on all four wheels but we get alot of snow and I'm interested in using this as an everyday car.
Third, are parts still relatively easy to find?
Any other first time buyers advice?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by cazhog
I'm looking at a 1980 300TD with 78,000 miles on it, one owner. Since I've never owned a MB or a diesel I was hoping to get some advice.
First, the car I'm looking at has some rust on the bottom of the quarter panels, around the jack points and around a couple of wheel wells. For this area (Central New York) that's not a lot of rust but are there other critical areas I should be looking at?
Second, how well do these drive in snow? I would put snow tires on all four wheels but we get alot of snow and I'm interested in using this as an everyday car.
Third, are parts still relatively easy to find?
Any other first time buyers advice?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Parts are easy to find relatively, with one exception. SLS. The TD's have SLS and parts for that are difficult to find at best. Also the SLS requires a DIFFERENT head so dont plan on finding an easy replacement engine.

Also the climate servo is a big PITA, hard to find (every car in the pullapart will find these are the first parts to go) and will cost about $300 rebuilt. Make sure the heating works atleast.

And last but not least these are a bit of a dog getting on the highway unless the ramp is tilting downand arent well suited for 75+mph as the gearing is so high (55mph). Off the line you will beat pretty much anything until about 25mph.

Other than that they are tanks. Try to get one with third row seats (spec if you have kids, THEY LOVE to ride in there). Speaking of seats check the quality/comfort. This year had horse hair seats and that disintegrates pretty fast. Also if the ODO is ending in 9 or the trip meter is ending in 9 chances are its lying to you.

Whats asking rate?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 AM

I'm such a newbie I don't even know what a SLS is.
How well do they handle in snow with snow tires? Sometimes tanks get rolling alright but stopping not so nice.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cazhog
I'm such a newbie I don't even know what a SLS is.
How well do they handle in snow with snow tires? Sometimes tanks get rolling alright but stopping not so nice.
Self Leveling System. Hydraulics basically for better weight handling.

No clue on snow/ice. Down here we don't get much of that.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

'84 300CD, '82 300SD, '74 TR6, '99 Land Rover Discovery
300td

They are great cars and get around fine in the snow - remember that in Germany they use the diesel sedans for taxi cabs - German winters are probably a bit worse than most places in the US. 78K sounds very low - we have an 84 300 CD and an 82 300SD both with over 200K on them and both run just fine. The 80 is not a turbo diesel and that is the one thing I would be concerned with - the non-turbos lack the power that the 81's and later have.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
The clock has gone around twice at least

Originally Posted by johnshasteen
They are great cars and get around fine in the snow - remember that in Germany they use the diesel sedans for taxi cabs - German winters are probably a bit worse than most places in the US. 78K sounds very low - we have an 84 300 CD and an 82 300SD both with over 200K on them and both run just fine. The 80 is not a turbo diesel and that is the one thing I would be concerned with - the non-turbos lack the power that the 81's and later have.
Another consideration.

Happy New Year guys.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Location: Heilbronn am Neckar, Deutschland; Cape Coral, Florida
C123 TurboDiesel - 1985
buy it! you will become addicted 4 LIFE !!!!!